Taurus over Glock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i haven't taken a 4 day in a while ,usually 150-200 a day.last class i was in was cleet phase 4 ,400 rounds there was 1-taurus a brand new 24/7 9mm the 5" version. at around 130 it layed down and shooter had borrow the instructors glock 34 to finish.

never found out what the problem was ,but the gun locked up soild and the trigger was flopping around loose.

i've seen 6 0r 7 tauri crap out in classes and have never seen one finish.

a guy i used to work with bought a pt111 recently and it broke the trigger return spring during his sda class.couldn't make it 50 rnds

exactly what I'm talking about, whether it was a CHL shooting exam, or an actual pistol course there was almost always a brand new taurus that failed in every single class, and I am not exaggerating

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that matter of faith or some sort of logic? Times change my friend.

What exactly prohibits Taurus from producing superior product?

No-name company in Croatia poops out a gun - put "Springfield" on it - everything is gravy?

Make a gun in Brazil - put "Springfield" on it - everything is gravy?

Put "Taurus" on it - and it's doomed no matter what?

Please, logic with me here....

Most guns will last a few magazines to a few hundred rounds. When I spend my hard earned money on a gun, I expect it to be reliable and last several thousand rounds, if not tens of thousands. All one need do is look at the equipment choices of defensive handgun competitors to see where they spend their money. Take the 2011 IDPA World Championship and the 2009 & 2010 Nationals. Out of 1,134 total competitors, there were only three Taurus handguns used (all three were PT 1911 .45's). Three. By contrast, there were 415 Glocks used.

Now, ask yourself how many major law enforcement agencies issue Taurus. Any? Now how many issue Glocks? Too many to count. The reason defensive handgun competitors and cops use Glocks over Taurus is simple. They spend a lot of money and count on their guns for their lives. They actually use them in training. They need a gun that works as much as statistically possible, and they need after the sale support. In many of these requirements, Taurus can't deliver.

Love the Taurus brand if you want, just don't expect it to be something it's not. :(

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most guns will last a few magazines to a few hundred rounds. When I spend my hard earned money on a gun, I expect it to be reliable and last several thousand rounds, if not tens of thousands. All one need do is look at the equipment choices of defensive handgun competitors to see where they spend their money. Take the 2011 IDPA World Championship and the 2009 & 2010 Nationals. Out of 1,134 total competitors, there were only three Taurus handguns used (all three were PT 1911 .45's). Three. By contrast, there were 415 Glocks used.

Now, ask yourself how many major law enforcement agencies issue Taurus. Any? Now how many issue Glocks? Too many to count. The reason defensive handgun competitors and cops use Glocks over Taurus is simple. They spend a lot of money and count on their guns for their lives. They actually use them in training. They need a gun that works as much as statistically possible, and they need after the sale support. In many of these requirements, Taurus can't deliver.

Love the Taurus brand if you want, just don't expect it to be something it's not. :(

Jerry, Is there a published accounting of the other handguns?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The article actually says, for the price, that he would take the "new Taurus" over a "well used Glock".

Quote:
"From a price standpoint the MSRP is in the mid-$500 range. After some searching online gun sellers the average price is actually closer to the $460—$475 range. This gives you a new pistol for the price of a well used Glock. With that in mind I’ll take the Taurus"

Not enough price difference for me...in fact, ya can't get there.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost said:
Is that matter of faith or some sort of logic? Times change my friend.

What exactly prohibits Taurus from producing superior product?

No-name company in Croatia poops out a gun - put "Springfield" on it - everything is gravy?

Make a gun in Brazil - put "Springfield" on it - everything is gravy?

Put "Taurus" on it - and it's doomed no matter what?

Please, logic with me here....

It's not that Taurus can't produce a better gun. They have just shown over time and among various models to produce an extremely high rate of failure.

The same cannot be said of an XD, M&P, or Glock. They are better guns because they have a lower rate of failure.

Call me crazy but that extra $100 or less is pretty cheap compared to a gun shaped paper weight.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to reduce this to the Ford Vs Chevy argument it's always been.... How many of you guys pull a hay trailer with your Yugo?

The cheap car may do it's duty... but will fail if taxed beyond it's limit. Taurus is certainly not a Yogo... but it's consumer grade products are not Makorovs, Colt's, Croation XD's or any police or military grade firearm.

Those few IDPA Taurus 1911's got pretty good massages to run as hard as they did. Rumor has it that a couple were virtually STI guns with Taurus roll marks on the slide.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jerry, Is there a published accounting of the other handguns?

Yep. http://www.idpa.com/tj_toc.asp Issue 4 of each volume contains the Nationals/World shoot equipment survey back to 2005. They also cover every aspect of the competitors gun and ammo equipment, from holsters to gunsmiths to reloading equipment to ammo components.

Latest posts

Top Bottom