Taurus over Glock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All one need do is look at the equipment choices of defensive handgun competitors to see where they spend their money. Take the 2011 IDPA World Championship and the 2009 & 2010 Nationals. Out of 1,134 total competitors, there were only three Taurus handguns used (all three were PT 1911 .45's). Three. By contrast, there were 415 Glocks used.
It's not hard to imagine that at a gun race there will be a bunch of race guns ....

Now, ask yourself how many major law enforcement agencies issue Taurus. Any? Now how many issue Glocks? Too many to count. The reason defensive handgun competitors and cops use Glocks over Taurus is simple. They spend a lot of money and count on their guns for their lives. They actually use them in training. They need a gun that works as much as statistically possible, and they need after the sale support. In many of these requirements, Taurus can't deliver.

By the same logic Savage can't make a decent rifle .... You get issued what you get issued.

As far as competitors go - it's catch 22: they'll use whatever is the most supported and whatever gets used the most, gets most support. Point being, Glock-34 - great race gun, it is the most used race gun by FAR (and 17s converted to 34 and you got 50% covered), however - it has NO USE outside the competition circle.

Love the Taurus brand if you want, just don't expect it to be something it's not. :(

I have no feelings towards any* brand name - gun is a tool and it either works or it doesn't.
* Remington is a sole exception - IMHO they haven't made a decent gun since 1945.

I've had a dozen Taurus/Rossi firearms over the years and the only issue I've ever had was a timing problem with a used revolver that I was able to correct at home. Now, the accounts of guns failing at simple CHL test or a sub-1000-round class really worry me.

With that said - I still own a few and if there are indeed problems with them - I want to know what the problems are now so I can correct it.

P.S. PT92 is a standard issue for Brazilian Army - that's 250 thou units...

P.P.S. Would I take new Taurus over used Glock - HELL NO! :angry3: Luckily I don't have to make a choice. Safety on a handgun pisses me off ....

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not hard to imagine that at a gun race there will be a bunch of race guns ....[/COLOR]By the same logic Savage can't make a decent rifle .... You get issued what you get issued.

As far as competitors go - it's catch 22: they'll use whatever is the most supported and whatever gets used the most, gets most support. Point being, Glock-34 - great race gun, it is the most used race gun by FAR (and 17s converted to 34 and you got 50% covered), however - it has NO USE outside the competition circle.

I have no feelings towards any* brand name - gun is a tool and it either works or it doesn't.
* Remington is a sole exception - IMHO they haven't made a decent gun since 1945.

I've had a dozen Taurus/Rossi firearms over the years and the only issue I've ever had was a timing problem with a used revolver that I was able to correct at home. Now, the accounts of guns failing at simple CHL test or a sub-1000-round class really worry me.

With that said - I still own a few and if there are indeed problems with them - I want to know what the problems are now so I can correct it.

P.P.S. Would I take new Taurus over used Glock - HELL NO! :angry3: Luckily I don't have to make a choice. Safety on a handgun pisses me off ....

Race gun eh? Ever shot IDPA? The Glocks tend to populate the Stock Service pistol division in IDPA.... and that division runs pretty much STOCK guns... about the only mods allowed are sights (irons at that).

Of course we dont pre register for our matches, reset and tape targets and drop $20 in match fees for 90 seconds of shooting time over at sanctioned IDPA matches too. What "tier" do you want this week, MOBoost?

Brazilian Army... who they gonna go after, Belize?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not hard to imagine that at a gun race there will be a bunch of race guns ....

Race guns aren't allowed in IDPA, particularly in "Stock Service Pistol" division. You must be thinking of USPSA

By the same logic Savage can't make a decent rifle .... You get issued what you get issued.

Savage tactical rifles are issued at numerous LE agencies, and approved for personal use in many more.

You must be joking, right? My "race gun" Glock 34 was my duty gun when I worked for the Adair Co. Sheriff's Office. It also did duty as my home defense gun. The overall size of the G-34 is nearly identical to that of a 5" 1911 and it certainly can be concealed, particularly in an IWB.

The PT92 is a near carbon copy of the Beretta 92, at least initially manufactured under license by Beretta and initially manufactured on Beretta machinery in Brazil. The PT92 is one of the few Taurus handguns I'd actually own (though I've owned 3 Berettas instead).

My comments in blue.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Race gun eh? Ever shot IDPA? The Glocks tend to populate the Stock Service pistol division in IDPA.... and that division runs pretty much STOCK guns... about the only mods allowed are sights (irons at that).

Do I really need to explain it on the fingers? The only reason Glock 34 exist is to populate the Stock division. Why "dick" with "perfection"?

Glock 34 - Competition version of Glock 17, extended magazine release, extended slide stop lever, 20 N (4.5 lbf) trigger pull, and an adjustable rear sight. The top of the slide is milled out, creating a hole designed to reduce front-end muzzle weight to better balance the pistol.

Of course we dont pre register for our matches, reset and tape targets and drop $20 in match fees for 90 seconds of shooting time over at sanctioned IDPA matches too. What "tier" do you want this week, MOBoost?

Brazilian Army... who they gonna go after, Belize?

Personal attacks is the best you can do ... very classy pal.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only Taurus guns I'd even consider are those that are copies of something proven, like the PT92 or PT1911. Anything that Taurus tried to do on their own they fail hard.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My comments in blue.
If your Glock 34 was standard issue - I stand corrected. If they just let you "pick your own" - the point is moot, you just chose to use a purpose built competition gun for other duties (see my comment about 34s above).

P.S. I guess I didn't draw a hard line between "race gun" and "competition" : sorry for confusion.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your Glock 34 was standard issue - I stand corrected. If they just let you "pick your own" - the point is moot, you just chose to use a purpose built competition gun for other duties (see my comment about 34s above).

P.S. I guess I didn't draw a hard line between "race gun" and "competition" : sorry for confusion.

Mine was a "blue label" law enforcement Glock 34 that came with a 5# trigger and steel 3 dot sights from the factory instead of the 3.5# trigger and adjustable sight.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only Taurus guns I'd even consider are those that are copies of something proven, like the PT92 or PT1911. Anything that Taurus tried to do on their own they fail hard.

They screwed up the 1911 too IMO. There's no need for a hammer lock on a 1911.

I don't get the race gun comment? Are we assuming that all Glocks shot in IDPA are Glock 34s? Seems like MoBoost just wanted to argue and dug himself in a hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom