Taurus over Glock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter why you think it was designed, at IDPA matches you see all sorts of STOCK guns and for me personally, I didn't see a majority of them being G34s......
I'm sorry I didn't mean to misrepresented FACTS as my personal opinion.

i39.tinypic.com_i6mrt2.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_29qkthe.jpg

I think a lot of people are relaying simply relaying that their experience with glocks supercedes their experience with Taurus.

So do you own a Taurus and had bad experience with it - or you just want to be the spokesman for all those who do?

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't mean to misrepresented FACTS as my personal opinion.

No worries, people do it all the time, but it doesn't really matter why it was designed. LE does in fact use it do they not? Also I'd hardly call it a race gun in stock form. Either way... I notice your little screenshot of IDPA equipment left out the FACT that nearly just as many Glock 17s were used in the IDPA WC. There was a total of 80 NON G34 glocks used. Which kind of blows the whole race gun/G34 red herring out of the water. There are a significant amount of practical Glocks used in everyday life that are in the IDPA equipment list and no Taurus polymer guns...... why is this?

Here's the full list if anyone wants to look at it

http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=331

So do you own a Taurus and had bad experience with it - or you just want to be the spokesman for all those who do?

Not being a spokesman here, just relaying what people are actually saying because you seem to be misrepresenting their views for validation of some sort. Speaking for myself, I just thought the whole G34 race gun comment was retarded, relative to what I've seen in IDPA. I guess your experience in the composition of equipment is different than mine and the IDPA WC? Anywho, to answer your question I've owned two. I will say that the 24/7 was pretty reliable but in the end I just couldn't shoot it like I could a glock. I found another G23 online and got into for nearly what I sold the Taurus for. In the end I go with what I shoot best, seems I'm not alone. :D

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a significant amount of practical Glocks used in everyday life that are in the IDPA equipment list and no Taurus polymer guns...... why is this?

IPDA format fits striker fired pistols very well - anything with decocker or external safety is put at disadvantage: hence the Glock (ab)use and fair share of M&Ps. I don't see Walther, H&K, Kahr, FN, Beretta or Ruger on the list either and singling out Taurus for argument's sake isn't fair.

Anywho, to answer your question I've owned two. I will say that the 24/7 was pretty reliable but in the end I just couldn't shoot it like I could a glock. I found another G23 online and got into for nearly what I sold the Taurus for. In the end I go with what I shoot best, seems I'm not alone. :D

So you didn't have a problem with Taurus ... but since Glock was mentioned you were worried about the kittens???:wink2:

I am all ears about "I haven't seen one that didn't break" - I have PT92 and PT1911 : what should I expect and when? (I have under 1k rounds through either).

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To each his own! I would not depend on a Taurus in a life death situation. One caveat I am not thrilled with the 4th generation Glocks which have experieced ejection issues.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus 1911 that I have shot numerous rounds through. Never have I had a failure in anyway. Solid weapon, goes bang everytime, accurate and no I would not trade it for a glock. I can't stand glocks. Had one sold it and will never buy another, they just don't work for me. No issue with gl;ock's quality or anything, just don't like them. If I had to go polymer it would be an xd or m&p.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont shoot a lot... but my 19 has seen 1200 or so since October last year... planning on at least 1000 or more this year. My 90's Colt 1911 has seen about 3,000 rounds ... on all stock parts.

You do know that IDPA puts all striker fired 9mm pistols into Stock Service... right?

Glock failure... seen 2 first hand. Broken spring (USPSA) lot's of hard use.
Saw a 40 SW G23 lock up due to the unsupported case- bulged reloaded brass issue. Also...a early Para Ordinance 1911 that ate it's sear and disconnect around 75 rounds right out of the box.

Taurus has a market segment they want to aim at. The shooter who wants to run a couple of boxes of FMJ a year... and leave the pistol in the night stand for defense...and thats OK.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IPDA format fits striker fired pistols very well - anything with decocker or external safety is put at disadvantage: hence the Glock (ab)use and fair share of M&Ps. I don't see Walther, H&K, Kahr, FN, Beretta or Ruger on the list either and singling out Taurus for argument's sake isn't fair.

So you didn't have a problem with Taurus ... but since Glock was mentioned you were worried about the kittens???:wink2:

I am all ears about "I haven't seen one that didn't break" - I have PT92 and PT1911 : what should I expect and when? (I have under 1k rounds through either).

First, an external safety is not a hindrance to a seasoned competitor. Second, DA/SA designs are a hardware solution to a software problem. They will always be at a disadvantage for any fast & accurate shooting, no matter what the venue is. Third, Taurus makes striker fired guns as well, so that isn't the issue. The reason certain guns don't fair well is because of several factors such a poor ergonomics, poorly placed controls, high bore centerline, poor balance through the cycle of the slide, long trigger reset and the very crucial areas of reliability and longevity.

Certain guns are simply easier to run hard and fast with minimal training, such as the Glock, M&P, XD. Certain guns work better for experienced and proficient shooters, such as the 1911, CZ-75, revolvers and most DA/SA designs. Ernest Langdon has won with Sigs & Berettas. Max Michel has won with Sigs. No one wins with HK, because they suck in the handling department. Driving an HK hard vs. a Glock or 1911 is like driving a double decker bus hard vs. a Corvette or Porsche.

You can continue to irrationally defend the Taurus, but you'd do more good by pointing out the drawbacks to the company, because we're not buying in. :(

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm beginning to think you have little to no experience in IDPA..... not fair?.....external safety is put at a disadvantage? Look at your own list and tell me how many 1911s are on there. As for the other makes, anything I've said applies to those platforms for ME, maybe not you, and trust me.... I've tried them all. Either way, Taurus pistols aren't on there because they don't perform as well, IF they run right in the first place.

I am all ears about "I haven't seen one that didn't break" -

Can't help you with that one.... I didn't say it.

I have PT92 and PT1911 : what should I expect and when? (I have under 1k rounds through either).

The PT92 is a great gun IMO, probably will last longer than you care to shoot it. The PT1911 has shyt small parts, including a goofy hammer lock that I've personally seen turn one into a single shot. A hammer lock that shouldn't be there in the first place...... like on a LOT of Taurus guns. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom