Taurus over Glock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah!!! Because this is what the everyday person will run into.

And the "everyday person" should have a Bersa, Taurus, Rossi, Jennings- Bryco, Highpoint or whatever they can justify in their night stand. If I was making a choice between the bills or a handgun.. I'd be all over the cheapest gun I could find more so if it lived in my sock drawer.

I am a everyday person too...my day is spent with a defensive handgun on me. My month finds me running about 300 rounds through that pistol (IDPA) and maybe another 100-200 or so for casual shooting etc. I shoot enough that my economy justifies a couple of guns to spread the wear and double the fun factor. Down side- I had to save up and wait to get the quality tools I have now.

There are 3 kinds of gun people...those who "want" a gun-and any gun will do. Those who "like" guns and will spend money on a gun that never leaves the safe or gets willed to a museum... and those who "shoot" guns... guns that get "used" need to be durable, affordable and most of all "Fixable" and that specification goes to "supported".

Try to order parts for a Taurus so your local Gunsmith can fix it. Taurus wont sell parts...and aftermarket parts just don't exist for those guns. I can't wait 5 months for a spring or sear repair even if that repair is "free". Jennings..Bryco guns- no support and most gunsmiths wont fool with them. XD has little support other than factory... but they hold up to a lot of use...and if you need to send one back, it gets turned around quickly. Smith and Wesson has good factory service and Glock is very good to deal with also--- in the rare case you need to send one back.

Of course, the support issue goes right down the line...night sights, hi vis sights, holsters, magazines, grips... a major brand gets attention - the minor makers don't.
Simply stated--- my everyday needs (and requirements) are not the same as yours.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot the fourth kind of person. Those who need a gun to defend themselves or family but can not afford a high end gun . Normally I would suggest to people layaway. But sometimes that is not even an option. And if you have never had to live on limited income ( I mean $800 a month ) then you would never know what this is like. There are people like myself who would love to own guns that cost more than a Taurus, Charter Arms or any other that people might think are not worth anything. And for people who can afford more to talk down to us like we are nothing is really sickening.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot the fourth kind of person. Those who need a gun to defend themselves or family but can not afford a high end gun . Normally I would suggest to people layaway. But sometimes that is not even an option. And if you have never had to live on limited income ( I mean $800 a month ) then you would never know what this is like. There are people like myself who would love to own guns that cost more than a Taurus, Charter Arms or any other that people might think are not worth anything. And for people who can afford more to talk down to us like we are nothing is really sickening.

this...hits home....just getting to where I can actually spend some on some nicer guns, but know exactly what you are saying.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't you glock snobs buy your glocks and you taurus guys but the Taurus' you want? If you don't like a particular gun or brand, JUST DON'T BUY THE DARN THING. That's why people get so turned off by glock lovers. If you don't own one, your an idiot blah blah blah. I don't like Glock's so I don't own one and probably never will. I'm a Ruger snob so most of my stuff is Ruger. Its what I like and thats what I will buy. I'd take my SR9c over your Glock 26 anyday of the week. And i'm sure now there will be 40 different glock owners coming at me about why the 26 is so much better. Like I said earlier, if you don't like a gun or gun brand, just don't buy it, don't bash everyone who doesn't agree with you.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't understand this sort of comment in this thread, as I didn't see any class warfare going on. A used glock can be had for the same price as a new Taurus if not cheaper, which was the comparison the thread was started on. It's not the price point of taurus many people have problem with it's the overall quality or lack thereof. If someone is on a budget or even if they aren't, there are several cheaper guns I'd recommend over a Taurus Polymer gun if it was used for self defense but that's just me.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't you glock snobs buy your glocks and you taurus guys but the Taurus' you want? If you don't like a particular gun or brand, JUST DON'T BUY THE DARN THING. That's why people get so turned off by glock lovers. If you don't own one, your an idiot blah blah blah. I don't like Glock's so I don't own one and probably never will. I'm a Ruger snob so most of my stuff is Ruger. Its what I like and thats what I will buy. I'd take my SR9c over your Glock 26 anyday of the week. And i'm sure now there will be 40 different glock owners coming at me about why the 26 is so much better. Like I said earlier, if you don't like a gun or gun brand, just don't buy it, don't bash everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Ahhh someone else who didn't drink the glock kool-aid. Had a couple and just couldn't get used to that odd grip angle, just too used to 1911's I guess.
Glocks are kind of an enigma to me, usually German-Austrian stuff is over engineered precision stuff, just mess with a Porsche, Beemer or a P08, not so with glocks, almost stupid simple and loose as a goose.
To each their own, I'll keep the CZ's and 1911's thank you.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You guys are manufacturing animus where none exists. The entire premise of this thread was which is better, a new Taurus or a used Glock. Considering that they both sell at pretty much the same price point, I fail to see how we're "looking down" on those that can't afford a Glock. I've actually owned a Taurus 85 snubbie that I considered perfectly serviceable for it's intended use. I've owned service caliber handguns that cost anywhere from $175 to over a grand. I've owned pretty much every brand of service sidearm available in the US, and quite a few that you never see in cop's holsters. One of the most accurate I've owned was a Ruger P-97. One of the most reliable was a Star Firestar .40. A Charter Arms .44 Spl is still on my want list, along with a Star PD.

While I wouldn't personally spend my money on any of the Taurus semi-autos, I never said they were all crap. The PT-92 has been mentioned as a good one. Most of the others aren't at the same level though.

How about we stop going off the tracks in this thread about competition 34's, looking down on others and rabid Glock fanboyism? Can we not just stick to the original topic, which is the new Taurus vs. used Glock article? :(

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way I would ever take a Taurus over a glock is the following scenario.

My Kimber has failed and the guy next to me in the check out line has picked up the bad guys glock, the other bad guy pissed in his pants and dropped his Taurus.

Since I don't want to be without a gun I picked up the Taurus.

Then I would go find one of those fun buy back programs and sell it for a target gift card or something.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand this sort of comment in this thread, as I didn't see any class warfare going on. A used glock can be had for the same price as a new Taurus if not cheaper, which was the comparison the thread was started on. It's not the price point of taurus many people have problem with it's the overall quality or lack thereof. If someone is on a budget or even if they aren't, there are several cheaper guns I'd recommend over a Taurus Polymer gun if it was used for self defense but that's just me.

Amen! I've told many a limited income person who wasn't going to follow good advice anyway to get a CZ-82 and call it a day. Yet they end up with a Taurus that cost twice as much and is half the gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom