TDSA training (dry firing at another person)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, this morning I was trolling the world of FB training pages and came across this post from Central State Training Group in Kansas. They posted this with a picture of 4 guys from TDSA pointing pistols at each other from about 10ft.

"One of our instructors attended a course last weekend in Oklahoma. One of the drills entailed unloading your gun then pointing it at one of the class instructors and dry firing. This was to get you used to pointing your gun at a real person. Please notice the loaded mag still on the instructors belt. I'm pretty sure this violates one or more of the four Golden girls of gun safety. Our guy did not participate in this portion of the class."

What do you guys think of this? Too risky? Negligent? Even in the most controlled event accidents can happen. I've heard nothing but good things from TDSA so far....

Edit: I am in no way saying this is a right or wrong method of training for the level of the students and I DO NOT know the prerequisites or details to this course.

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, personally, would have opted out of that portion of the training. Not only that but I would have left the room until they finished that portion of the training. Not gonna disparage TDSA or their training techniques, there are just some things I'm not willing to be a party to.

ETA: I've heard of live fire training for body guards. And I've seen training where an instructor walks down the line of targets while students shoot ... Neither are things I'd participate in either. But ... that doesn't make the training invalid. Just makes it not suitable for me. Everyone has to find their own comfort level with an instructor ... and go from there.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This "Central State Training Group in Kansas" is trolling one of their competitors, if you even want to call it that.

1. those mags are all unloaded. Every instructor and student is checked on their belt, their gun (LOOK AND FEEL CHAMBER) their magazines, and their pocket.

2. this is a hatchet job by the person posting that, and if they were listening instead of looking for a kodak moment, they would understand.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This "Central State Training Group in Kansas" is trolling one of their competitors, if you even want to call it that.

1. those mags are all unloaded. Every instructor and student is checked on their belt, their gun (LOOK AND FEEL CHAMBER) their magazines, and their pocket.

2. this is a hatchet job by the person posting that, and if they were listening instead of looking for a kodak moment, they would understand.

And that's why I don't disparage someone else's training techniques. Ever. What is appropriate for one person is completely inappropriate for someone else. It's all a matter of context, gentlemen. You have to take these things in the context in which they are presented. Thanks for the info, Mike.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the context of this drill is huge.

it carries weight.

it is not intuitive, and uncomfortable, Ill give you that; prior to this, they obsess about clearing ammo from the range

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I participated in this portion of dry firing. The tdsa instructors are very clear on their instructions and safety is their number one priority. When we did this instructions were given to everyone clearly. I recall being told to go to the line(which is the only area you are allowed to handle your firearm) with 3 loaded mags. When everyone was on the line we did a live fire drill until we unloaded all three mags. After we ran out of ammo we stood at the line with all 3 mags and gun with slide locked back. All 3 instructors walk the line and safety check your firearm and mags. Then they walk the line again presenting their firearms unloaded and 3 empty mags. O yeah I remember they pat you down, each instructor does so individually.
After all this we practiced speed reload drills. The instruction is given if you have an instructor in front of you to put him in your sights. The instructors speed reload as well when in front of you. I remember thinking "WTF? Are we really gonna do this?" When a instructor made it to me I recall feeling a different type of pressure come over me. I had to be faster than this guy, if I wanted to win. Its an experiance that im glad I was able to participate in, in a safe environment, against someone who is more experienced than me. I would never do this outside of TDSA, and wouldnt recommend anyone do so. But im glad I did experience this.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the context of this drill is huge.

it carries weight.

it is not intuitive, and uncomfortable, Ill give you that; prior to this, they obsess about clearing ammo from the range

Do you remember my post years ago after I wound up pulling my gun on the guys trying to get into my car?? I had nightmares for months after that. And my finger never touched the trigger.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not approve of this type of training under any circumstances. I don't care what the safety protocols are. It violates a basic rule of gun safety and I do not accept that it's necessary to the desired outcome(s) of the training.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several thoughts on this subject.

1. I absolutely get the purpose of this type of training. At no point will we ever be attacked by a paper or cardboard target. Bad guys do not have neat scoring rings and it is important for us to have the visualization of a human being in our sights PRIOR to us needing to use our firearms in self defense.

2. The training methods that are employed by Marshall and crew just plain work. They teach fundamental handgun skills better than any other group.

3. This is an obvious attempt to smear the reputation of a "competitor".

Latest posts

Top Bottom