TDSA training (dry firing at another person)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that the first time you have another human being in your sights shouldn't be the real "showtime". I concede that it is a valuable training drill.

That being said, there are so many realistic options available that do not require functional weapons that there is zero excuse for using real firearms to accomplish it. Doing it with live weapons is, IMHO, a result of competence induced complacency.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that the first time you have another human being in your sights shouldn't be the real "showtime". I concede that it is a valuable training drill.

That being said, there are so many realistic options available that do not require functional weapons that there is zero excuse for using real firearms to accomplish it. Doing it with live weapons is, IMHO, a result of competence induced complacency.

Agree with both points. Don't they make plastic dummy barrels? Seems like I remember seeing yellow dummy barrels for Glocks, and also I know I have seen chamber flags that thread together at two points, fit inside the chamber and do not allow the weapon to chamber ammo, but will allow it to be cycled.

I know and respect the TDSA guys, and would love to take some training from them, but nothing is foolproof.....

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've participated in a drill that looks similar to this (not with TDSA), and I can identify absolutely nothing of value in it. If someone knows the full context of this drill, I'd sure be curious to hear it. Particularly what end this drill accomplishes that can't be better accomplished in other ways. If the argument in favor is stress inoculation, then I'd sure like to know how this is thought to be superior to good quality force-on-force. Has anyone else done both and still values getting dry-fired at?

As far as criticizing other people's work, it's prudent to hesitate; but I think it's the obligation of thinking people to hold others to a high standard of rationality. Maybe I'm missing something, but I see no rational support for dry firing at people.

I agree. Your not missing anything. I will say it, this is the stupidest thing I have heard of in any course of training! Stupid.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This "Central State Training Group in Kansas" is trolling one of their competitors, if you even want to call it that.

1. those mags are all unloaded. Every instructor and student is checked on their belt, their gun (LOOK AND FEEL CHAMBER) their magazines, and their pocket.

2. this is a hatchet job by the person posting that, and if they were listening instead of looking for a kodak moment, they would understand.

Is it a hatchet job because it's a lie and it never happened or did they actually dry fire or point real, functioning weapons at a human target?

Have you participated in the drill? If so, maybe you can clarify exactly what happened.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should point out that I've always felt Marshall's TDSA class is dollar for dollar, some of the best training available anywhere. I just don't agree with this particular drill when using live guns, no matter where the mags and ammo are or how much safety is stressed. Red guns or sim guns? Sure. Live guns? No...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion is if your going to get training for real life situations, you train with what is going to be on your hip in real life.

If you want to train with dummy guns on manikins, the real life goes away. Its no different that shooting at a metric target at a USPSA match.

I got trained crawling under barbed wire/mud at night with real machine gun fire going overhead at 3'. In reality, the fire would be coming right at you, but in training, its a confidence builder. The simulated explosions going off at the same time will rattle your cage.

In real life, the actual explosions and machine gun fire will kill/injure you. Its a whole new ball game.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should point out that I've always felt Marshall's TDSA class is dollar for dollar, some of the best training available anywhere. I just don't agree with this particular drill when using live guns, no matter where the mags and ammo are or how much safety is stressed. Red guns or sim guns? Sure. Live guns? No...

Well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom