TDSA training (dry firing at another person)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what was it like pointing an unloaded gun at another human being in a calm, controlled setting?

Listen. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or if this is a legitimate question? So, I'll just answer it this way and leave it alone. For me personally....it didn't "bother" me one bit to point my gun at one of the instructors and vice versa in this environment. "We" all made conscious decisions to trust one another and we were all very adult about it. I can say that it will certainly raise your blood pressure and the training scenario works for it's intended purposes.

Here's the deal.....if someone doesn't agree with it, that's fine. They don't have to participate and/or they can chose a different training group. That's what makes the world go around. That's why there are Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks and not "one" truck for all to choose.

Once again, for me personally, I would recommend Marshall's training classes over any other that I'm aware of or have attended....hands down. I will also be attending his Pistol Level 1 for the second time this spring, followed by his Level 2.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I'm not sure how to interpret your comments. Are you trying to contribute a valuable thought, or are you just trying to be antagonistic?

I thought the question was rather straightforward. If there's any ambiguity I'd be happy to clear it up for you.

Listen. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or if this is a legitimate question? So, I'll just answer it this way and leave it alone. For me personally....it didn't "bother" me one bit to point my gun at one of the instructors and vice versa in this environment. "We" all made conscious decisions to trust one another and we were all very adult about it. I can say that it will certainly raise your blood pressure and the training scenario works for it's intended purposes.

Here's the deal.....if someone doesn't agree with it, that's fine. They don't have to participate and/or they can chose a different training group. That's what makes the world go around. That's why there are Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks and not "one" truck for all to choose.

Once again, for me personally, I would recommend Marshall's training classes over any other that I'm aware of or have attended....hands down. I will also be attending his Pistol Level 1 for the second time this spring, followed by his Level 2.

Little of column A little of B, but that's kind of how I operate anyway. Thank you for answering the question.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But "everybody else was doing it so I thought it was ok".

I hear that sh$t from my eight year old. Doesn't make it right. Controversial doesn't make it right either.

There are basic rules for a reason, they work 100% of the time if you stick to them.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But "everybody else was doing it so I thought it was ok".

I hear that sh$t from my eight year old. Doesn't make it right. Controversial doesn't make it right either.

There are basic rules for a reason, they work 100% of the time if you stick to them.

I agree. This "theory" "Those who have done it, get it, those who haven't can't grasp the concept and can only espouse how WRONG they think it is..."" Is similar to the one " If you have to ask you wouldn't understand" well they both don't hold water when it comes to Weapons!

But the ones that have done it, your grown men and wish you best of luck with it, and hope it never causes anyone to get hurt. I just have to agree to disagree!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. This "theory" "Those who have done it, get it, those who haven't can't grasp the concept and can only espouse how WRONG they think it is..."" Is similar to the one " If you have to ask you wouldn't understand" well they both don't hold water when it comes to Weapons!

But the ones that have done it, your grown men and wish you best of luck with it, and hope it never causes anyone to get hurt. I just have to agree to disagree!

Yup, I lived through it, the only thing that got hurt was a lot of feelings on the internet.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, I didn't know the basic rules of gun safety were internet commando rules.

Glad nobody got hurt, this time. Enjoy your special snowflake ninja status…

This was posted about this incident on a national forum almost exclusively populated by combat veterans, cops, and professional trainers. it sums up, and predicts, exactly what we are seeing here:

My opinion. HELL NO!!! In addition to the other reasons already stated, is that it sets the stage for a tragedy later on. The first time you do something that everyone believes is scary dangerous, people are usually very focused on safety, i.e. removing all ammo, checking again and again to make sure the chamber is empty, no magazine, etc.

However, a psychological change occurs. Because it is so universally rejected, those who are taught to do it are also taught (and believe) that they are unique, better, elite, and separate from the herd (many/most anyway). And every time they do it without an injury or problem, they become more complacent, more relaxed and it becomes "normal" to them. It works.....right up until there is a brainfart, something that interrupts the OODA loop and then it goes really bad.

The same mentality occurs before every stock market crash, every criminal who makes a mistake and finally gets caught. They first get caught up in the fallacy of success. It has worked before, it works now, therefore it will work in the future....until it doesn't.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What other formal training have you had, or are aware of?

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What other formal training have you had, or are aware of?

We ALL know that opinions are like buttholes....everyone has one! That's why I purposely wrote "that I'm aware of or attended" and NOT "the best training period". I'm quite certain there are many many great firearm instructors and training classes across the country.

I'm not going to list out my resume for you or others to slash and dash. I'll just say that I've been training with some sort of weapon for most of my life. And I have attended several firearm classes in the state of OKlahoma and California.

I learned more in Marshalls class than any other I've attended. Period. My shooting ability improved tremendously afterward and continues to improve. With that said, I've taught a lot of instructional classes over the years (not firearm related) and can attest that the "curriculum" is a very small part of any instruction. It's all about the instructor and their ability to connect, relate and convey the intended lesson to the student in a way they can understand, implement and retain it.

How about you? Who and what firearm classes would you recommend? I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom