Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chances are you and your parents didn’t/don’t pay enough yearly in education taxes to pay the cost for a single student. Therefore, it’s more likely than not that multple people without kids picked up your parents slack and paid the remainder of your educational costs.
But I do agree that one shouldn't have to pay taxes for services they don't utilize. I have never once called the police but yet I'm expected to pay for them? Freaking outrageous!
I actually try to avoid the police and fire department. I wonder why I have to pay taxes for those agencies? Wait, what about all of those highways and bridges I will never even see? Hell, I hunt on a private lease. I have never hunted on a public WMA, why do I have to pay taxes for those places?

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I concede that may have been the case. However, police and fire departments are different. That's paying for a service you hope you never have to use, insurance if you will. I won't derail this thread any further on this topic though. This is about the teachers and their pay. I'm trying to garner more information on the subject in general.
not a big deal, lots of folks feel the way you do. you are free to state your opinion. It does show the difficulty with passing new taxes in Oklahoma.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
America spends more than any other country. Several countries combined. Yet public education here in the good ol USA ranks 17th in the world. Throwing more money at 17th or our state does not seem to be the answer. What are the other countries doing that we are not and spending far less? Maybe we should hire teachers from some of these other countries. The ones we have now are failing the children and the country. (I deleted mot of the post)[/QUOTE said:

American is trying to Educate 100% of School Age Children.
Most other countries do not. If the student does not learn at his/her grade level. They are removed from the school system.

In most Oklahoma City, Title 1 Schools (6-7-8 grade) less that 5% of students car read on grade level.

Students are passed to the next grade. Student can only be held back 1 year, and then only if parents agree. Different School district have different limits of the amount that can be retained. (But all have a very small % like 1-3 %)

When they get to high school most of the above students drop out. (Credit System) But the State Department of Education has on their web page that the drop out rate is 1.9% Where did the Student go?

A experienced Teacher from a different Country would not last in a Title 1 School more than week

Last edited:

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Fire any who walk out on their job to strike. Use the subs until new are hired or just extend school till the time is made up. Let teachers move to other states if they want. It's a free market and we have a poor state."

This is how far removed from reality some of you are. The low pay is the cause of a teacher shortage. Fire all of the teacher=schools staying closed indefinitely. Most schools can' t get subs to fill the normal load of teachers being out sick let alone staff an entire school district.

This spring state colleges will churn out around 300 teachers from their education department's. Go check how many open positions TOS and OKCPS will need next year. You kight be shocked. It will be way more than 300 each. Until the pay issue gets better neither will the shortage.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
American is trying to Educate 100% of School Age Children.
Most other countries do not. If the student does not learn at his/her grade level. They removed from the school system

In most Oklahoma City, Title 1 Schools (6-7-8 grade) less that 5% of students car read on grade level.

Students are passed to the next grade. Student can only be held back 1 year, and then only if parents agree. Different School district have different limits of the amount that can be retained.

When they get to high school most of the above students drop out. (Credit System) But the State Department of Education has on their web page that the drop out rate is 1.9% Where did the Student go?

A experienced Teacher from a different Country would not last in a Title 1 School more than week
Everything you are posting has already been discussed. I know you have an opinion, just state what it is instead of pasting someone else's idea.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concede that may have been the case. However, police and fire departments are different. That's paying for a service you hope you never have to use, insurance if you will. I won't derail this thread any further on this topic though. This is about the teachers and their pay. I'm trying to garner more information on the subject in general.
Insurance has a legally-enforceable duty to make good on its contract with you.

Police don't.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chances are you and your parents didn’t/don’t pay enough yearly in education taxes to pay the cost for a single student. Therefore, it’s more likely than not that multple people without kids picked up your parents slack and paid the remainder of your educational costs.
But I do agree that one shouldn't have to pay taxes for services they don't utilize. I have never once called the police but yet I'm expected to pay for them? Freaking outrageous!
How do I like this more than once?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard on the news tonight that the state employees were threatening a walk-out. Didn't they just get pay raise and the teachers didn't?
No. I know that the nurses and staff at the state health departments have not had a raise in over 10 years. Many of them left. My wife just left, because they are talking about another round of layoffs. She just took a job with one of the hospitals. She just told me that now she knows she should have left years ago. Most of the state workers work year round. They don't have all summer off. I now that they have been getting pressure to walk out by the union and other groups. She is not part of the union. There is a few of them who are, that should have been fired. Just like the schools, the state hires too many over paid administrators who are not really needed.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been lazy and not paid much attention beyond the margins.

Is there a single organization that represents teachers in Oklahoma?

If so, what is their position, if they have one, on how the raise should be paid for? Or are they simply asking for a raise and expecting the legislature to figure that part out?

Latest posts

Top Bottom