Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because we can't take the rowdy students that disrupt the class into the hallway and whack their ass with a 24" paddle.
My history teacher kept his hanging by the classroom door in full sight of the class, and he wasn't afraid to use it.
Trust me on this. He had holes drilled in it to allow the air to pass for a faster swing.
That sum***** hurt.

I would agree that's part of it but have to wonder if there's more, after all that doesn't explain why so many kids are getting passing grades and graduating when they're not competent in the material.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree that's part of it but have to wonder if there's more, after all that doesn't explain why so many kids are getting passing grades and graduating when they're not competent in the material.
Basically my response says it all.
We have lost the ability of teachers to have discipline in the school system.
Video after video I've seen kids attack teachers confrontationally and physically with the teachers not able to respond.
They have no respect for teachers that could make the difference in their lives and their futures.
Kids have more respect for the dumb a$$ kids they run with that will take them to the bottom of hell than a teacher that can take them to the top of a corporation.
It's a lot about peer pressure. They will fight a teacher for education while relying on their gang buddies to "educate them".
Peer pressure is a HUGE thing in a teens life.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The United States spends more than other developed nations on its students' education each year..."
"Despite the spending, U.S. students still trail their rivals on international tests."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

America spends more than $600 billion on schools. Here's where it goes and why it matters.
"When compared with teachers in other countries, American teachers are generally well-paid: they make more at all points in their career than the average for teachers in the OECD. But teaching isn't a particularly well-paid profession anywhere. In all OECD countries, teachers make less than the average person with a bachelor's degree."
https://www.vox.com/2015/3/25/8284637/school-spending-US
The study referenced in the CBS News story also states that salaries are the most important factor in attracting and retaining teachers. The Vox story also includes that in addition to the fact the U.S. educates EVERY child
Part of the reason education spending has increased is because the number of children with disabilities has grown much faster than the general population of students, and schools are now required to educate them. Special education students cost, on average, about twice as much to educate as other students. So one reason education in the US has become more expensive is that it's trying harder to serve all students — and that can come at a price.

The argument that while the U.S. spends as much or more than other countries while performing lower on tests is an apples to oranges comparison. The disparity in exam scores between the U.S. and other countries is not new. U.S. students have performed lower on these exams for as long has they have been administered. The highest performing students are from countries that usually have very narrowly focused studies, or specialized studies that are rarely the choice of the individual student. But, yet many of those high performing students come to the U.S. to expand their education because for the first time they will have choices that allow them pursue their own creativity.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Do you know what 50% Grading Is?
1) If you do not turn in the assignment you still get a score of 50%
2) If you have a test with 10 questions and miss five your grade is 75% (5 point off for a wrong answer not 10)
IEP & ESL & EL (Aprox 1/6 of Oklahoma Stundents Per ODE web site)
3) IEP (Individual Educations Plan) Student is passed to the next grade, even if know is done. (Can Not Be Held Back)
4) ESL (English as a second language) now EL (English Learners) (Can Not Be Held Back)

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The study referenced in the CBS News story also states that salaries are the most important factor in attracting and retaining teachers. The Vox story also includes that in addition to the fact the U.S. educates EVERY child

The argument that while the U.S. spends as much or more than other countries while performing lower on tests is an apples to oranges comparison. The disparity in exam scores between the U.S. and other countries is not new. U.S. students have performed lower on these exams for as long has they have been administered. The highest performing students are from countries that usually have very narrowly focused studies, or specialized studies that are rarely the choice of the individual student. But, yet many of those high performing students come to the U.S. to expand their education because for the first time they will have choices that allow them pursue their own creativity.

First off I think the "every child" thing is part of the problem. Next the Vox article made it clear that U.S. teachers make more than in countries that outperform us and that teachers are paid lower than other professions in those other countries also. Narrowly focused on reading, writing, and arithmetic?, things that matter in education, the things needed to go on to higher studies where they can use their creativity(or be proficient in a job)? Maybe there's something else that needs considered here. I notice you're from Lincoln Co., I have friends with kids in Stroud schools, I've seen some of their work and results. Their parents are very happy with the education and their kid's learning, they help when needed because it's not handed to the kids. Their dad went to Tulsa schools and has noted how different it is than there, more straight forward teaching without some of the social engineering extras we seem to hear about in Tulsa, OKC, or large urban schools elsewhere. When the state schools get their report cards where are the majority of failing schools located? Is the mentality of teaching different in rural v. urban schools?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know what 50% Grading Is?
1) If you do not turn in the assignment you still get a score of 50%
2) If you have a test with 10 questions and miss five your grade is 75% (5 point off for a wrong answer not 10)
IEP & ESL & EL (Aprox 1/6 of Oklahoma Stundents Per ODE web site)
3) IEP (Individual Educations Plan) Student is passed to the next grade, even if know is done. (Can Not Be Held Back)
4) ESL (English as a second language) now EL (English Learners) (Can Not Be Held Back)

#s 1. and 2. sure weren't that way when I was in school otherwise I'd have made excellent grades.
#3. I was a teachers aid in a special ed. class in high school and knew down syndrome and very disabled kids got a break on grades but I've heard things that indicate many with "special needs" today are not just the very disabled. It raises a question regarding social issues today nobody seem to want to address i.e. drug babies for one.
#4. I suspected but that's another social issue we're really not allowed to address huh? Have to wonder what would happen if teachers spoke out about these issues, could it possibly be held against them or even threaten their job?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"No child left behind" = One country left behind. :(

It had wide bipartisan support when it passed, in 4 years when the results were in everybody hated it. There has to be some type of outcome measurement and accountability for the public's funds. No parent wants to admit their little blessing isn't "normal" yet the public(the part of it who actually pay) doesn't like to feel their money is being wasted on kids who can't or won't learn. Tough situation but there has to be a rational middle ground somewhere aside from just giving breaks, lowering standards, and throwing more money or the country will surely be left behind as many claim it is now. Since you brought it up do you think the replacement (Every Student Succeeds Act) will fix the issues?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Student_Succeeds_Act

The Difference Between the Every Student Succeeds Act and No Child Left Behind
https://www.understood.org/en/schoo...student-succeeds-act-and-no-child-left-behind

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"No child left behind" = One country left behind. :(
Since you brought it up do you think the replacement (Every Student Succeeds Act) will fix the issues?
In a word... no.

Unless we go back to the old standards ("if you don't pass, you fail" and "there's only one winner in a contest" etc. etc), students have no reason to attempt their full potential. And there will always be students that won't try very hard in any case.

It's the nature of the human race. Some try to do well and get ahead, some do not. As the old saying goes, "cream rises to the top." It will be that way until the end of time.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom