Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically my response says it all.
We have lost the ability of teachers to have discipline in the school system.
Video after video I've seen kids attack teachers confrontationally and physically with the teachers not able to respond.
They have no respect for teachers that could make the difference in their lives and their futures.
Kids have more respect for the dumb a$$ kids they run with that will take them to the bottom of hell than a teacher that can take them to the top of a corporation.
It's a lot about peer pressure. They will fight a teacher for education while relying on their gang buddies to "educate them".
Peer pressure is a HUGE thing in a teens life.

So the system has lowered standards due to lack of student discipline? If so then isn't the system is as much to blame as the students?
Is the lack of student discipline also to blame for the epidemic numbers of teachers arrested and decades of scandals and cover ups?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a word... no.

Unless we go back to the old standards ("if you don't pass, you fail" and "there's only one winner in a contest" etc. etc), students have no reason to attempt their full potential. And there will always be students that won't try very hard in any case.

It's the nature of the human race. Some try to do well and get ahead, some do not. As the old saying goes, "cream rises to the top." It will be that way until the end of time.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:

I'd agree with that, but didn't NCLB and the new system try to raise standards and bring accountability?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the system has lowered standards due to lack of student discipline? If so then isn't the system is as much to blame as the students?
Is the lack of student discipline also to blame for the epidemic numbers of teachers arrested and decades of scandals and cover ups?
So, you agree that kids should be able to attack teachers?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No I do not, where did I say or even imply such?
Are the questions I posed that difficult?

LOL, you implied that the standards are lowered, hence my question.
I stand by my statement that discipline in the schools is a huge reason we can't teach.
I'm not sure where the teacher's being arrested, etc is coming from.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the international exams don't reflect accurately then why do we participate in them?
The comparisons are with other developed nations, explain the difference in Pools of students being tested.
What students are not accepted in other countries schools?

It seems TPS and OKC are where we hear the most problems from rather than rural schools, maybe it's a cultural thing?

We participate in them because important data can be gleaned from them that doesn't have much to do with where a country ranks. Rankings are mostly just fodder for headlines and political talking points. If we want to top the rankings list we'll probably have to play by the same rules as those countries that top the list. For example, implement one national school system that funnels students into specialized paths rather than 51 separate systems that exist in the U.S. American schools generally focus on a well rounded education rather than specialization in a specific subject like math.

Some of the top ranking countries students spend several more years of preschool education than U.S. students and often their parents spend thousands for extra schooling that specialize in how to take tests. East Asian families usually put much more emphasis on how their children perform on tests which are attached to social prestige or shame.

Achievement tests are not necessarily good predictors of how students will perform in life, but they are a good measurement of how well students can take tests.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We participate in them because important data can be gleaned from them that doesn't have much to do with where a country ranks. Rankings are mostly just fodder for headlines and political talking points. If we want to top the rankings list we'll probably have to play by the same rules as those countries that top the list. For example, implement one national school system that funnels students into specialized paths rather than 51 separate systems that exist in the U.S. American schools generally focus on a well rounded education rather than specialization in a specific subject like math.

Some of the top ranking countries students spend several more years of preschool education than U.S. students and often their parents spend thousands for extra schooling that specialize in how to take tests. East Asian families usually put much more emphasis on how their children perform on tests which are attached to social prestige or shame.

Achievement tests are not necessarily good predictors of how students will perform in life, but they are a good measurement of how well students can take tests.
Agree.
A lot of parents in the US consider the school system as a babysitter. They don't actively engage what their kid is doing in school and try to help with the homework, etc.
That being said, the 3 R's I got in school evidently didn't count in my kids education.
I would help them with their math and english homework, with them telling me their teacher wouldn't accept "old school" sentence diagramming or old school long division for credit.
I called BS on that and met with the teachers later. They had a totally different way to do it, and would not give credit for the Old school method even though it was correct at the end.
I couldn't understand their reasoning.
I've always looked at every problem like a spoked wheel. Some of the spokes can be broken, but that's not a block to progress to the hub,
(the answer). You back up, go around the wheel, and find a spoke that is not broken and get to the answer.
They don't look at it like that. Its their way, or it doesn't count. That deprives kids of alternative sources of learning that end up with the same result.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, you implied that the standards are lowered, hence my question.
I stand by my statement that discipline in the schools is a huge reason we can't teach.
I'm not sure where the teacher's being arrested, etc is coming from.

Many sources contend standards have been lowered, anybody can web search "American schools have lowered standards" and decide for themselves.
The actions of teachers and failure of the system to properly deal with them are also well documented.
Again I agree with your contention that student discipline is a large problem, but again why doesn't the system deal with it and why don't teachers speak out or strike over it like they will money?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why doesn't the system deal with it and why don't teachers speak out or strike over it like they will money?
Because the large majority of them are liberal educated and follow the path of liberalism where there are 50 or more genders, we all piss in the same bathroom, and kill our unborn children.
It's a pretty simple explanation.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As somebody else pointed out the military doesn't count on diplomas they test. As for well rounded education when a lot of 3rd. graders can't read proficiently and lots of graduates need remedial math and English but gender identity and is considered a priority maybe it's overly rounded. Maybe we should change things some and follow more of what the leading countries are doing if we want more success since there's a large amount of contention that we're falling behind in some areas like businesses not finding enough skilled workers etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom