Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the large majority of them are liberal educated and follow the path of liberalism where there are 50 or more genders, we all piss in the same bathroom, and kill our unborn children.
It's a pretty simple explanation.

I would tend to agree that's also an issue just like the student discipline is, so maybe there are other issues that need addressing other than just funding and salaries that are being ignored if we want better results from our schools and kids?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MacFromOK said:
In a word... no.

Unless we go back to the old standards ("if you don't pass, you fail" and "there's only one winner in a contest" etc. etc), students have no reason to attempt their full potential. And there will always be students that won't try very hard in any case.

It's the nature of the human race. Some try to do well and get ahead, some do not. As the old saying goes, "cream rises to the top." It will be that way until the end of time.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:
I'd agree with that, but didn't NCLB and the new system try to raise standards and bring accountability?
Again... trying doesn't equal results.

Sorry, I just don't have a better answer. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would tend to agree that's also an issue just like the student discipline is, so maybe there are other issues that need addressing other than just funding and salaries that are being ignored if we want better results from our schools and kids?
Absolutely. Change the schools from babysitting operations to centers for learning.
We have two family members that are teachers, neither liberal but they have to abide by the liberal ways to keep their jobs.
Both have CC and are pretty good shooters. Nobody else in their school knows they even own a gun, and they don't take them to school, so they are basically victims.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again... trying doesn't equal results.

Sorry, I just don't have a better answer. :anyone:

Agree, but we've got to do something and sadly it seems standards like you mentioned, fixing discipline, and system accountability are off the table so I have no better answers either. One thing's for sure though just throwing money and continuing as we are is no guaranty for success as some want us to believe.

Many Colorado schools still failing after years, millions of dollars
https://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/...till-failing-after-years-millions-of-dollars/

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As somebody else pointed out the military doesn't count on diplomas they test. As for well rounded education when a lot of 3rd. graders can't read proficiently and lots of graduates need remedial math and English but gender identity and is considered a priority maybe it's overly rounded. Maybe we should change things some and follow more of what the leading countries are doing if we want more success since there's a large amount of contention that we're falling behind in some areas like businesses not finding enough skilled workers etc.
There's always going to be room for improvement. But Don't confuse test scores with learning or any comprehensive measurement of what teachers or students do.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's always going to be room for improvement. But Don't confuse test scores with learning or any comprehensive measurement of what teachers or students do.

So what do we use as a comprehensive measurement of what teachers or students do? The fact that so many encountered in stores can't make change without a register telling them or the fact that most tweens to 30yr.olds can quote the Kardashians but not the founding fathers?
And how do we judge teachers or are we now not supposed to question them or where our tax money goes and what value it returns regardless of all the negatives we see?

Interesting article from 2010...
(Not) Making the Grade
http://www.ocpathink.org/article/not-making-the-grade

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cipal
I'd love to here more on this. When it comes to math I'm familiar with what is taught at the middle school (6th-8th) level today and in the 90's, but certainly not as knowledgeable regarding what was taught in the 60's. Can you be more specific as to what was taught in the 6th-8th grade in those days that is not taught today?

I can. I was in that sub-group mentioned above. A few things we were taught then that I do not believe we are taught now: Please, correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure some will).
- The Pledge of Allegiance
- The National Anthem
- Respect for Authority, like for Teachers, Policemen, & even adults in general ( To be addressed as: Mr. ____, Mrs. ____ ,or Miss ____).
- How to make change
- How to hide under my desk, hands on the back of my head, in case the Russians launched an atomic bomb on us. (About as useful as today's drills for an active shooter).
- How to diagram a sentence
- How to balance a checkbook
- Long and short division
- How to use the card catalog in the library
- I also learned, albeit somewhat slowly, that if I did something against the rules, like fighting, throwing spit wads, talking back, or chewing gum in class, that I could expect swift, and certain disciplinary action in the form of "swats" or "licks" to my recalcitrant butt. In my case, this seems as if it was a somewhat slower than normal learning process. I spent an awful lot of time sitting on that bench outside the principal's office, waiting for the administration of discipline, quietly thinking and wringing my clammy hands, as I lamented yet another poor choice.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the good old days, Teachers taught the complete text book. Students learned a lot more that the OAS.

Memory Road. 1962 - 1966 Taft (7th & 8th grade) had over 400 students in each Science Class (Held in Auditorium)
NWC High School had over 400 students in each History class (Most of the other OKCPS were same)

Hey, we must have been classmates even, I was there at the same time. Remember that guy who used to teach study hall at NWC that wore a bow tie? Mr. Beverly Houck? I made life miserable for that poor bastage...we'd cut holes in the newspaper for our eyes and watch him; yelling crap like "Bev! Hey, Bev!" when he wasn't staring directly at ya, just to piss the poor old guy off until we got caught and sent for swats as per above.

Rust Shackleford

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
cipal

I can. I was in that sub-group mentioned above. A few things we were taught then that I do not believe we are taught now: Please, correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure some will).
- The Pledge of Allegiance
- The National Anthem
- Respect for Authority, like for Teachers, Policemen, & even adults in general ( To be addressed as: Mr. ____, Mrs. ____ ,or Miss ____).
- How to make change
- How to hide under my desk, hands on the back of my head, in case the Russians launched an atomic bomb on us. (About as useful as today's drills for an active shooter).
- How to diagram a sentence
- How to balance a checkbook
- Long and short division
- How to use the card catalog in the library
- I also learned, albeit somewhat slowly, that if I did something against the rules, like fighting, throwing spit wads, talking back, or chewing gum in class, that I could expect swift, and certain disciplinary action in the form of "swats" or "licks" to my recalcitrant butt. In my case, this seems as if it was a somewhat slower than normal learning process. I spent an awful lot of time sitting on that bench outside the principal's office, waiting for the administration of discipline, quietly thinking and wringing my clammy hands, as I lamented yet another poor choice.

At my school we still:
Say the Pledge of Allegiance every day
Sing the national anthem before sporting events
Have a character development system. I pause many times waiting for a yes or no sir early in the school year. By now they get it.
*We don't count change back in the middle school, they may cover this in HS but I'm not sure
They diagram sentences in 6th grade
We do long division nearly every day in 6th grade
We have an electronic card catalog
Fighting will get you suspended no questions asked, chewing gum is an automatic detention, I've never had a kid throw a spit wad i my class. I do wish we could still use a paddle, but rest assured we do discipline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom