Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about getting an AK. I've heard some horror stories about the rifles put out by Century that are rumored to have been assembled by trained drunken monkeys. Looking to stay in the neighborhood of $500.00.

I've been looking at the Atlantic Firearms website and they have different brands made from various parts kits with some being really expensive.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Zastava N-Pap that is imported by Century and I absolutely love it. It has slightly tighter tolerances than some AKs so it costs a few bucks more, but I think its worth it. You can find them for ~$550-$600.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with Shodown. I have a couple of PAP rifles (O and N), as well as a WASR. The PAP rifles are nice for the price and were imported by Cerntury, so you don't have to worry about the Century gremlins.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any Wasr w/side rail. Century has come along way to their new gun lines. Don't waste your cash on the $1k milled arsenal guns. Just a expensive show toy. TONS of furniture options for the standard AKM. Also Boyds Gunstocks makes Ak furniture now.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To tag along on this topic, cab anyone enlighten me to what sort of accuracy I can expect from a decent AK? I've heard before that you are doing good to get minute-of-barn accuracy if you try really hard. I'm not worried about being a sharpshooter, but I want to at least enjoy shooting it if I ever get one.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AKs can be pretty accurate but it is not a target rifle. It is a battle rifle pure and simple. My biggest complaints are the trigger and short site radius.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AKs can be pretty accurate but it is not a target rifle. It is a battle rifle pure and simple. My biggest complaints are the trigger and short site radius.
I don't have first-hand experience with AK triggers, but the sight radius on an AK-47 is very similar to an ar15 with carbine gas system.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419260653644.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419260653644.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 236

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its hit and miss on any $500 AK. Ive had both wasr's and zastava pap's with canted sights, out of spec bolt rails, hungarian with improper trunion spacing, even a norinco mak90 with an out of spec receiver (too wide). Look it over really good, hand cycle it HARD a few time to see if it jumps rails or hangs up any. Look at the sights to check for cant...although it is an easy fix, it might give you some bargaining leverage. I prefer the wasr to the zastava personally. I don’t like the lack of furniture interchangeability of the yugo/serb guns. I am also another one of those Chinese AK fan boys…although its hard to find a good deal on them these days. The IO inc polish guns are also pretty nice, I had a blued one and fit and finish was really good, I also dig the swelled hand guard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom