Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to further hijack the thread (sorry OP, but maybe this will help you out in your decision as well), does anyone have any experience with the US made AK's from Century Arms (like this one http://tinyurl.com/kuwq7vk)? I know they are a bit more expensive than what we were discussing, but if I can get a US made one that is just as (or more) accurate as the imports, I'd probably be willing to pony up the extra.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to avoid US-made AKs; I like them made by the same factories that make them for their militaries (Arsenal, Cugir/Romarm, Izhmash, etc.). Personal preference, maybe, but I've not seen much the Americans have improved on when it comes to reverse engineering or even building foreign weapons.

I don't much like the Yugo rifles, as I just don't fit the buttstock well; the other com-block rifles fit me fine, even with the short Warsaw-length stocks. Otherwise the PAP rifles I've handled have been well built and well finished.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You an order a C39 almost like that one from JG Sales for $499 ( http://www.jgsales.com/cai-centurio...,-milled-receiver,-usa-mfg,-new.-p-52442.html ). I handled one in person next to a Draco and, despite what people say about the Century quality, it was fitted and finished much better than the other. It's wasn't as nice as say, my dad's Norinco MAK-90, but it was put together nicer than the Draco. Visually, it was not far off from the Arsenal next to it, honestly.

However it was fairly heavy with the milled receiver and longer barrel. The hand guard with rail is plastic, which is chintzy, and I don't believe there are aftermarket ones to fit the C39 off the shelf. And the shark fin sight is frowned upon compared to the adjustable ones. I also admit I didn't fire them, but I have heard these are better than the previous Century junk. But for picking up one to slap a red dot on and going to town, It's what I would buy if I were not opting to build an AR pistol. It was a really tough call actually, the lightness and size of the AR won out.

Last edited:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To tag along on this topic, cab anyone enlighten me to what sort of accuracy I can expect from a decent AK? I've heard before that you are doing good to get minute-of-barn accuracy if you try really hard. I'm not worried about being a sharpshooter, but I want to at least enjoy shooting it if I ever get one.

This is far from gospel, but it's an actual test at least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16#Range_and_accuracy

AKs arent as inaccurate (in semi-auto) as people like to gossip about, and they're certainly accurate enough for a battle rifle IMHO. But they're inherently not as good as the other rifles out there.

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to avoid US-made AKs; I like them made by the same factories that make them for their militaries (Arsenal, Cugir/Romarm, Izhmash, etc.). Personal preference, maybe, but I've not seen much the Americans have improved on when it comes to reverse engineering or even building foreign weapons.

I don't much like the Yugo rifles, as I just don't fit the buttstock well; the other com-block rifles fit me fine, even with the short Warsaw-length stocks. Otherwise the PAP rifles I've handled have been well built and well finished.

+1

AKM's are one area where foreign > american IMO

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To tag along on this topic, cab anyone enlighten me to what sort of accuracy I can expect from a decent AK? I've heard before that you are doing good to get minute-of-barn accuracy if you try really hard. I'm not worried about being a sharpshooter, but I want to at least enjoy shooting it if I ever get one.

I shot this at 50 yds using a cheap (~$80) Primary Arms Microdot with steal cased, ****** Tula ammo. Not bad all things considered.

I agree about Yugo butt stocks. The comb on my was so high on mine that it was physically painful to use the iron sights. I went with a Tapco adjustable instead.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot this at 50 yds using a cheap (~$80) Primary Arms Microdot with steal cased, ****** Tula ammo. Not bad all things considered.

Considering that that is about how well I can do (most days) with my AR, I don't hate that level of accuracy. I'm, by no means, a marksman. I just don't want to be shooting my neighbors target when aiming at mine. :-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Century imported SAR1. I guess it's a predecessor to the WASR, but all were made to accept hi cap mags. Some of the WASRs were originally made to accept only 10? round mags and were later milled out to accept the hi caps. Quality of the milling varied greatly, and that's one reason WASRs got a bad rap.

The SAR is well put together, with good finish on the metal, but the sights are canted left. I thought that was pretty crappy, but then I noticed my Dad's very nice MAK90 also has left canted front sights! Maybe it's not a "flaw", but a "feature"??? I can't comment on the furniture, because I got it from a private party and it had Tapco plastic stocks that looked terrible. I replaced them with East German plastic stocks that are nicer and fit the traditional lines of the rifle.

Either way, I adjusted the front sight a bit and it shoots straight. Accuracy isn't bad; I'm probably the limiting factor. It is dead reliable.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no man, its a flaw lol. usually an easy fix, drive out 2 pins tap to correct, reinsert pins. The only gun i had trouble doing this to was an arsenal sam7r (yes even a few arsenals come with canted sights...youd think a $1200 AK would be perfect but noooooo), i had to have a buddy press the sight block off then repress back on in the corrected position.

bushrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Romanian Wasr 10 and and a GP1975. Both are solid, and reliable in the extreme. They were not designed to be target rifles, but after some familiarity and practice you should be able to do 3"-5" out to 200 yds, depending on the shooter.

Highly recommend the Tapco G2 single hook FCG. Will make a tremendous difference. Personally, I only use iron sights and prefer mostly stock guns. Also prefer the 30 rd Eastern European steel magazines or the Tapco Intrafuse 30 rounders. Tough as nails. No need to pay $1000-1200 for an AK. Lots of great deals online now for $499-599. Good luck and hope this helps. Just my opinion.

Oh, one last thing. If you find the magazine wiggles a bit, don't worry, most of them do. It does not affect reliability. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom