Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex7.62x39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my 10/63 from BANG about a year ago.....Has ran 100% for me! Boring reliability can ping my 12" steel square at 100 yards all day offhand w iron sights. Like what was stated above not a long range/precision platform..( Model 700 fills that need). But a great "get off my lawn!" platform.

My only complaint is the comblock steel mag that came with the gun looked like it got ran over by a truck...Tapco's run great.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea WASR-10 ...little more expensive ($120 primary arms reddot) traded a pt140 I had $350 in, about 6-7 years ago
Shoots my 9" paper plate at 100+a little ( I guess I use minute of 9" paper plate ..cheap targets , $1-500 at dollar tree..8/ )
Shoots pretty good with step-up sights too.
Mag wobble ...take a little metal putty repair , put a little on ...file until mags are snug...works great.
The Tapco mags dont usually wobble, but also fit Snug when repaired
Know your equipment and how to make it work for You.... ;)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to avoid US-made AKs; I like them made by the same factories that make them for their militaries (Arsenal, Cugir/Romarm, Izhmash, etc.). Personal preference, maybe, but I've not seen much the Americans have improved on when it comes to reverse engineering or even building foreign weapons.

I don't much like the Yugo rifles, as I just don't fit the buttstock well; the other com-block rifles fit me fine, even with the short Warsaw-length stocks. Otherwise the PAP rifles I've handled have been well built and well finished.

Huh? Arsenal Inc is a step above any of the other things I've seen imported, even Norinco.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned Arsenal and Krebs Custom AKs, the fit and finish are superior to rifles priced in the 600.00 ballpark. My advice is to buy local and check out the fit and finish first hand if you are staying in the 6 hunert range. Look for canted sights, jacked up rivets and welds, also check the mag lock up with different magazines. Good luck!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at it today. It was marked "cugir" or something like that on the side. It was used and had what looked like normal wear. Everything was looking good till I looked at it from the front end and saw that the front sight post was canted to one side. Is there a way to fix this?

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WASR sometimes have bent barrels hence the canted front sight. Seen folks straighten their front sight and then can zero or hit anything cause the barrel is in fact bent.

Just my two cents but for about $540 you can build one yourself that is a 600m capable rifle. Use a Polish AKM kit or Bulgarian AK74 kit. That's 922r compliant with top of the line stamped receiver and nitride treated barrel. I'd be happy to help you if you go this route.

Don't waste money on milled receivers!!! They are not any better than stamped. In fact in many ways stamped is better.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AKs arent nearly as easy to build as ARs or FALs...i wouldnt recommend just buying a bunch of tools, a receiver, and a parts kit (probably need a barrel too) and expect to have a top of the line AK in a few hours. I do agree that milled receivers have no advantage over stamped. People claim they are more accurate but with iron sights you will never tell the difference and even with a magnified optic i still doubt the claimed benefits.

The fix is simple most of the time: take off the muzzle attachment (probably can skip this), drive out the 2 pins on the FSB, rotate the FSB in the correct direction...on all the century guns i have corrected it was as easy as wrapping the receiver in an old t shirt and clamping it in a bench vise then use a screw driver as a lever and rotate the FSB or lay the gun flat with a 2x4 under the barrel just behind the front sight base and hit with a rubber mallet until its where you want it. Reinsert pins and your done. IF the FSB doesnt move with light-moderate force...you will need to use a press to remove the FSB and put it back on. In that case either find someone with a press, buy one, or take it to a gunsmith. You CAN bend your barrel if you try to he-man it with a crowbar so don’t go to crazy.

Also, if the sight is heavily canted when you try to reinsert the pins after correcting the cant the holes may not align the machined out areas on the bottom of the barrel and the pins will not pass through. In that case you can use a drill bit to clean it up but be very careful to remove material from the barrel and not the FSB. Probably best to just press off the FSR and use a round file to correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom