Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? Arsenal Inc is a step above any of the other things I've seen imported, even Norinco.

Much of arsenal inc’s guns come from foreign (namely bulgarian and russian/saiga) parts…so are you saying you agree with cjjtulsa?

Right. "Arsenal" (Las Vegas) is/was an importer of rifles from the Bulgarian "Arsenal" (Circle 10) weapons maker. I think most of the Bulgarian Arsenal rifles are now imported by K-Var, who was also importing the Russian SGL rifles and shotguns through their subsidiary import company "Fime Group" - before our little sanction fiasco ended that. Both the SGL and SLR rifles are excellent.

hathorn

New to the site!
Reaction score
I took upon the same search a few years back...eventually I decided to save up more and buy an Arsenal. I have to diagree about the negative comments about the Arsenal AKs. I'd save up an extra $500 and get a guaranteed bad-azz weapon!! Yes, they are expensive, but man the quality is legit!! I'd put serious money on the fact that mine will outlast any stamped AK out there ... a true family heirloom. On the other hand you can almost buy 2 stamped used AKs for the price of one Arsenal beauty. As you suspect, many AKs have inconsistant workmanship that may require some serious jerry-rigging...such as Century and their sights. Arsenal on the other hand is a sure thing...pretty much guaranteed quality. The only thing I find annoying about milled AKs in general is their lack of options r/t interchangeable furniture. If you buy an arsenal make sure you get the stock you want on it.

Now will any AK fire a 1000+ rounds without a jam...yes (thank you loose tolerances). But will you get the quality and accuracy of an Arsenal?....questionable

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my $1,200 arsenal sam7r came from the factory with a canted front sight and their is a thread from a few days ago with another guy who has an arsenal with a canted sight.

Also, most arsenal AKMs are stamped receiver guns not milled.

milled receivers are overrated as are Arsenal AK's. Milled or stamped, you will shoot the barrel out of an AK long before the receiver will fail...assuming your recoil spring stays in spec.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about getting an AK. I've heard some horror stories about the rifles put out by Century that are rumored to have been assembled by trained drunken monkeys. Looking to stay in the neighborhood of $500.00.

I've been looking at the Atlantic Firearms website and they have different brands made from various parts kits with some being really expensive.

Opinions? Suggestions?

While not pretty or smooth in operating the action, my WASR 10 hasn't had any malfunctions. I've read that the older ones had sloppy mag wells and horrible triggers but I believe they've cleaned them up. My mag well is tight and it came with a Tapco G2 trigger.

My action was very rough but I slightly bent the piston and lapped the action with JB bore paste. I also ground down the hammer a little bit. I would buy another WASR.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The older WASRs are the ones with a reputation; the newer ones get great reviews, and are a good buy especially at their price point. Arsenals aren't immune from the canted front sight (and occasional canted gas block), but according to all I've read, are still within spec and acceptable if the front sight can still be adjusted enough to be sighted in. That spec supposedly applies to all AK rifles.

I like them all - from the cheaper Romanians, to the expensive Russians and Bulgarians. Depends on what a guy wants, or wants to do. Some just shoot, some collect, and some do both. Variety is the spice of life!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the gun show today and saw a NIB Century built Romanian underfolder that looks promising. Think I'll go back tomorrow and check it out again.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I (I don't have the cash for one now though) both have been wanting to get AKs for awhile but I just don't speak the language! :( All the variations and models and countries just goes right over my head.

If my brother were to stay around $550 and under what specific AK would you recommend? Links would be great.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
honestly man for $550 you are limited to either a century built Romanian or yugo/zastava or an IO inc built polish gun. If you want an underfolder youd have to go with the Yugo/zastava, which is a good gun. the main thing you should understand is any AK in that price range can be hit or miss. Some of the IO AK's are blued which i prefer and they have a swelled hand guard that i also like. Aftermarket accessories with be much easier to find for a Romanian or polish AK than Yugo if your plans are to jazz it up tacticool style.

The good news is they wont go down in value so if you buy one and don't like it you can sell it pretty quick and buy another one.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I (I don't have the cash for one now though) both have been wanting to get AKs for awhile but I just don't speak the language! :( All the variations and models and countries just goes right over my head.

If my brother were to stay around $550 and under what specific AK would you recommend? Links would be great.

WASR, maybe a Yugo. Checkout youtube videos on the AK's, I have learned a lot from them. Some really good info.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WASR, maybe a Yugo. Checkout youtube videos on the AK's, I have learned a lot from them. Some really good info.

Yep - WASR or Yugo. Hold them both, as I'm not a fan of the Yugo stock; it has a different feel to me that I just don't find comfortable. Other guys love them. Underfolders can be wobbly and/or uncomfortable. I've heard bad things about IO rifles, so I avoid them. To me the newer import WASRs are a good deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom