Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let me see if I got this right:

Arsenal>Vepr/Saiga>Bulgarian>Romanian/Polish>WASR>Yugo/Zastava>IO

I'm not sure where Hungarian falls in this lineup.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let me see if I got this right Arsenal>Romanian/Polish>WASR>Yugo/Zastava>IO

it goes really deep once you get into brand quality as their are a ton on smaller less known AK importers and manufacturers of AK platform weapons, but without getting into detail...IMO... Arsenal>Chinese (norinco/polytech/clayco/ton of names you aren't likely to find)>IO>century

Century imports or makes every wasr or Yugo/zastava I have ever seen. Every one I have personally owned has had a small issue with canted sights or a bolts that jams do to out of spec rails. All have been very easy to fix but still. I have had less problems with the 3 IO's ive had but one did have canted sights. I like the blued IO AK's as it reminds me of a norincos and just looks nicer.

with that said...their is a solid chance the $550 AK your brother buys will have an issue. if it does, post up the problem and we will figure it out. :drunk2:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let me see if I got this right:

Arsenal>Vepr/Saiga>Bulgarian>Romanian/Polish>WASR>Yugo/Zastava>IO

I'm not sure where Hungarian falls in this lineup.

Matter of opinion. the VEPRs are considered some of the best, as are the Arsenals (and Saigas/FIMEs). VEPRs and Saigas are from different Russian manufacturers, with the VEPR considered better quality (some say the best of all). Hungarians (SA85M, particularly) are also considered some of the best AKs ever imported to the states. Romanians are typically considered lower on the scale, though there is typically nothing wrong with them, and if so, nothing that typically can't be fixed pretty easily. The Chinese rifles are actually pretty damned nice to me - best triggers by far of any of the AKs to hit our shores, at least all that I've tried. They have nice bluing, but also tend to rust pretty easily if not cared for.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had five AKs.

First was my SAR-2 AK-74. Good gun, my first semi-auto, and I'll keep it until I die just to have it. That thing got the treatment from collectible to tacticool and back again.

Next, my Saiga conversion AK-74. It was a nice conversion, looked great, functioned perfect. I miss being able to hold it up and be like, "No dude I turned this gun into this from a funky looking pile of junk!" Wish I'd kept it but wanted an AR more.

Bought a SAR-1 AK-47 clone for $400. Great little gun but the trunnion was canted inside the receiver and made it impossible to zero. Worst AK I ever had.

Next was my SLR-107. Bought it as my Post-Sandy Hook panic buy. It was prolly one of the worst AKs ever. I mean, it was good...it was cool. Fit and Finish was perfect. But....it wouldn't zero (I think this was 'cause of the ultimak but I had it on every other AK I'd ever owned without a problem so I personally doubt it), the trigger was godawful, recoil and concussion with the bare muzzle was stout...just not my favorite rifle.

Last was my MAK-90. NOW THAT was the best AK-47 type rifle I ever had. Mine was a welded on barrel nut and a ground off barrel lug away from being a Polytech Legend and was actually stamped so on the receiver, and then that was overstamped with MAK-90 but still plain as day underneath. Best trigger of ANY rifle I had until I bought the Geiselle. Accurate as hell. Reliable. Stout and kicked like a mule. Seriously, my PTR-91 left me hurting less than that AK-47 after a string of fire! Sold it off when I got out of the AK game entirely.

So in order of awesome...

1) MAK-90

2) SAR-2

3) Saiga

4) Arsenal

5) SAR-1. Seriously, look the romanian guns over, that was an expensive lesson.

If I ever get another AK, it's going to be in 5.56, but just 'cause they banned 'em in 5.45.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I (I don't have the cash for one now though) both have been wanting to get AKs for awhile but I just don't speak the language! :( All the variations and models and countries just goes right over my head.

If my brother were to stay around $550 and under what specific AK would you recommend? Links would be great.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles.html take your pic. atlantic fireamrs has an excellent customer service reputation. If there are any problems they will fix it for you promptly.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took upon the same search a few years back...eventually I decided to save up more and buy an Arsenal. I have to diagree about the negative comments about the Arsenal AKs. I'd save up an extra $500 and get a guaranteed bad-azz weapon!! Yes, they are expensive, but man the quality is legit!! I'd put serious money on the fact that mine will outlast any stamped AK out there ... a true family heirloom. On the other hand you can almost buy 2 stamped used AKs for the price of one Arsenal beauty. As you suspect, many AKs have inconsistant workmanship that may require some serious jerry-rigging...such as Century and their sights. Arsenal on the other hand is a sure thing...pretty much guaranteed quality. The only thing I find annoying about milled AKs in general is their lack of options r/t interchangeable furniture. If you buy an arsenal make sure you get the stock you want on it.

Now will any AK fire a 1000+ rounds without a jam...yes (thank you loose tolerances). But will you get the quality and accuracy of an Arsenal?....questionable

I would get a Century C39v2 every time over any milled(10). Use my money saved and get mags, 1k of ammo and any standard akm furniture you like. Milled aks are over rated imho

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had five AKs.

First was my SAR-2 AK-74. Good gun, my first semi-auto, and I'll keep it until I die just to have it. That thing got the treatment from collectible to tacticool and back again.

Next, my Saiga conversion AK-74. It was a nice conversion, looked great, functioned perfect. I miss being able to hold it up and be like, "No dude I turned this gun into this from a funky looking pile of junk!" Wish I'd kept it but wanted an AR more.

Bought a SAR-1 AK-47 clone for $400. Great little gun but the trunnion was canted inside the receiver and made it impossible to zero. Worst AK I ever had.

Next was my SLR-107. Bought it as my Post-Sandy Hook panic buy. It was prolly one of the worst AKs ever. I mean, it was good...it was cool. Fit and Finish was perfect. But....it wouldn't zero (I think this was 'cause of the ultimak but I had it on every other AK I'd ever owned without a problem so I personally doubt it), the trigger was godawful, recoil and concussion with the bare muzzle was stout...just not my favorite rifle.

Last was my MAK-90. NOW THAT was the best AK-47 type rifle I ever had. Mine was a welded on barrel nut and a ground off barrel lug away from being a Polytech Legend and was actually stamped so on the receiver, and then that was overstamped with MAK-90 but still plain as day underneath. Best trigger of ANY rifle I had until I bought the Geiselle. Accurate as hell. Reliable. Stout and kicked like a mule. Seriously, my PTR-91 left me hurting less than that AK-47 after a string of fire! Sold it off when I got out of the AK game entirely...

How much did the MAK-90 cost you?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in the mood for an ak again here lately. I have looked at several and the prices are all over as well as the quality. This will be a casual shooter and for personal defense should the world fall apart. I like the arsenals but they are just too high. Should I save my money and get something like that or just get a cheap one? I feel like if I wait something may Happen and everyone buy everything up and the price will skyrocket. I just don't want a piece of crap. Atlantic has some cool ones but don't know about the quality of a lot of them. If anyone can help i would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom