Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a mak 90 in the $700-800 range. It won't accept a bayonet or cleaning rod but will out shoot and out last about every other Ak out there.

You also should consider whether or not you want to mount an optic...you really need the side mount and not just a railed dust cover if so. Making that decision could eliminate quite a few

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The latest WASRs to come in seem to have a good reputation now - much better than earlier years. If I was wanting to go AK as inexpensively as possible, I'd likely go that route. Many like the Yugo PAP rifles, but I'm no fan of the ergos of the Yugo buttstocks. Plus the Yugo rifles don't share the same parts interchangeability that most other Comblock AKMs do. A used MAK-90 is an excellent choice, too. Great rifles.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The latest WASRs to come in seem to have a good reputation now - much better than earlier years. If I was wanting to go AK as inexpensively as possible, I'd likely go that route. Many like the Yugo PAP rifles, but I'm no fan of the ergos of the Yugo buttstocks. Plus the Yugo rifles don't share the same parts interchangeability that most other Comblock AKMs do. A used MAK-90 is an excellent choice, too. Great rifles.
I have really considered a wasr. I like the way it feels. It is a little rough but I could fix that. As long as the thing shoots reliably that is all I care about. I have really never heard of an ak not performing. I would put he magpul triangular stock on it as well as some kvar handguards. Maybe even the magpul handguards. Probably rattle can it and dehorn the rough edges. Other than that I can't see it being a bad rifle. Unless the sights are canted. I think I have made the decision. Unless yall think I should t get a wasr? Do you also know if I could put a 74 style arsenal break on a wasr?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few AKs not perform...for example my buddys wasr would FTF when the bolt would hang up on the rail every 2-3 rounds...a quick bend with some pliers and it hasn't malfunctioned since. The thing about century guns I have noticed is they often need a little love to run 100% but once you get the bugs ironed out they run as good as any. I would take a WASR over a Yugo any day. If you look hard enough you can find a good used one for $500-$550 or just buy a new one for $600 http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

ton of options for muzzle brakes: https://www.k-var.com/shop/Muzzle-Brakes

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread till today. I went to the Atlantic webpage and bought one of the "contractor" rifles. It looks like someone tied it to a bumper and drug it down a gravel road. I did a complete disassembly and found red sand caked in the area of the gas piston. Had to use an old dental pick to dig it out. The internals look used, but far from being worn out. The trigger is marked "Tapco". I'm guessing that this is part of the 922r BS.

The side is marked "cugir". The barrel is chrome lined which is something I didn't expect. The front sight does appear to be canted to the left. I took it to the range and shot a hundred rounds through it. Zero malfunctions.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with Atlantic - they will check your rifle over for canted parts, etc., before they ship if you ask them. You can use an AK-74 style brake, but make sure you buy one of the aftermarket ones that are 14x1 LH, as the "real" '74 brakes are 24mm (or the more uncommon Romanian 22mm). The WASR uses the standard Russian-design 14x1.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think about buying an unconverted saiga? I can get one at ssp right now for $599. How much would it cost to put a pistol grip, stock, move the trigger up and change the handguards and thread the barrel and add a muzzle break? Just making it into a regular ak. Or would it be better to just buy one already done? I know Atlantic has a saiga that is almost fully converted.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be expensive man especially if you would have to buy any tools for the job. $600 for the gun, $100 for the conversion parts. You would need a special retainer to put a traditional Ak Hand guard and the gas tube I believe needs some love to go back to a traditional style. Or you could save some trouble and just buy a saiga only hand guard but I haven't looked at what is available. Also it will need a bullet guide to take surplus mags but that may come with the conversion kit.

Converting is easy...it's everything after that that gets expensive.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would be expensive man especially if you would have to buy any tools for the job. $600 for the gun, $100 for the conversion parts. You would need a special retainer to put a traditional Ak Hand guard and the gas tube I believe needs some love to go back to a traditional style. Or you could save some trouble and just buy a saiga only hand guard but I haven't looked at what is available. Also it will need a bullet guide to take surplus mags but that may come with the conversion kit.

Converting is easy...it's everything after that that gets expensive.
sounds like a pain in the arse. I guess I could get the one off of Atlantic that is almost fully converted. They are just not in stock at the moment and who knows when they will be. Ssp also has a used wasr with a folding stock on consignment for someone and they want $550 I think. I held it the other day. It was a little rough but not horrible. Sights seemed to be straight. I thought about getting it. I don't know. Just too many out there to make my mind up. But I appreciate all the help and info. ( after examining the rifle a little closer the gun was canted pretty bad that I could tell. And it was pretty rough. Not worth the $550 in book. Especially when a saiga could be had for $50 more.

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went ahead and got the saiga from ssp today for $599. I held a wasr they had and it was terrible after I really looked it over closely. I wouldn't pay $10 for that one. The saiga is perfect. Now I just need to get it converted. I can get the pistol grip conversion kit for pretty cheap. I'll do the handguards and thread the barrel later. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom