Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just fired my new Yugo/Zastava underfolder and I have to say it is one sweet shooter. The trigger, while expectedly long, was actually very smooth compared to other "battle" rifles I have shot. Cycling the action is buttery smooth and it had no hiccups during firing. The gun came new from Century with two Tapco poly mags that worked perfectly and fit great. The picture shows two 30yard groups, a six shot and another 3 shot after an elevation adjustment. More than acceptable accuracy for what it was built for. The front sight was offset to the right but a quarter turn of the post should center it on target, I forgot to bring my sight tool with me to the range. Fit and finish are great and no wobble in the underfolder (yet.) Unsolicited plug -> Thanks to my new friends at 7element firearms in Moore for hooking me up with a great deal. 20150724_205024.jpg

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Battle of the American Made AKs:

http://www.shotgunnews.com/guns/rifles/ak47/american-ak-showdown-century-arms-ras47-vs-ddi-ak-47f/

Accuracy from both carbines is exceptional, besting several entry-level AR15s with military ammunition. Of the six types of ammo tested, the two most accurate brands were Red Army Standard Copper and Hornady SST. Which is interesting, since they represent opposite ends of the price spectrum for 7.62x39mm ammunition. The Century RAS47’s nitride barrel proved superior to chrome-lined military AK barrels achieving sub-MOA at 100 yards with Hornady SST ammo fired from the prone position.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like he was having some trouble with the insertion and removal of the PMAGS. I had to grind some material off of my PMAGS to get them to work in my Sig 556R. I sent Magpul an email and they said it "might need some slight modification for use in a 556R". The 556R is supposed to work with all AK mags.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like he was having some trouble with the insertion and removal of the PMAGS. I had to grind some material off of my PMAGS to get them to work in my Sig 556R. I sent Magpul an email and they said it "might need some slight modification for use in a 556R". The 556R is supposed to work with all AK mags.

But it doesn't. We saw that out the range that one time. Drum mags don't work, and not all of the Combloc mags were like they should.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've got to think about AK's the same as other rifles. No different than comparing a DPMS Sportical to a Rock River LAR. If you get a sub $500 Wasr you can expect a poor barrel, piss poor fit/finish and the always preconceived AK accuracy. Spend $600+ and get yourself a Yugo or Kalashnikov Concern and you can expect 2 moa (with PPU, Hornady, ect.), consistency, very nice fit/finish, quality trigger, ect. Spend $750+ and get a VEPR or DDI and you'll see 1.5 moa with good ammo, awesome fit/finish, rugged reliability and a rifle EVERYONE at the range will be asking you about.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've got to think about AK's the same as other rifles. No different than comparing a DPMS Sportical to a Rock River LAR. If you get a sub $500 Wasr you can expect a poor barrel, piss poor fit/finish and the always preconceived AK accuracy. Spend $600+ and get yourself a Yugo or Kalashnikov Concern and you can expect 2 moa (with PPU, Hornady, ect.), consistency, very nice fit/finish, quality trigger, ect. Spend $750+ and get a VEPR or DDI and you'll see 1.5 moa with good ammo, awesome fit/finish, rugged reliability and a rifle EVERYONE at the range will be asking you about.
have you actually checked each of these rifles for their accuracy? I have a saiga and its fit and finish is excellent. About as good as you can get. Reliability is top notch as well. I can't see it getting much better. And for the price it is hard to beat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom