Tell me about AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
have you actually checked each of these rifles for their accuracy? I have a saiga and its fit and finish is excellent. About as good as you can get. Reliability is top notch as well. I can't see it getting much better. And for the price it is hard to beat.

I have actually, and I must agree with you about the Saiga. When I was shopping for a shotgun it was between the Saiga and Vepr, with no other contenders. Even though my Vepr 12 is probably my favorite gun, I feel I would be at least nearly as satisfied if I went with the Saiga. I can't speak for their accuracy or longevity as I don't own one. The other rifles I listed only because I have them, or know someone who does and have shot them many times.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have actually, and I must agree with you about the Saiga. When I was shopping for a shotgun it was between the Saiga and Vepr, with no other contenders. Even though my Vepr 12 is probably my favorite gun, I feel I would be at least nearly as satisfied if I went with the Saiga. I can't speak for their accuracy or longevity as I don't own one. The other rifles I listed only because I have them, or know someone who does and have shot them many times.
What was it that led you to choosing the saiga over the vepr? I have heard not actually checked myself that vepr's are the best quality you can get. Now how true that is I don't know. And I know you were looking at shotguns and not ak's. But I would guess the quality should be the same. I am glad to know you actually checked the accuracy of the rifles you mentioned. That may help someone who is looking for a reference.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was it that led you to choosing the saiga over the vepr? I have heard not actually checked myself that vepr's are the best quality you can get. Now how true that is I don't know. And I know you were looking at shotguns and not ak's. But I would guess the quality should be the same. I am glad to know you actually checked the accuracy of the rifles you mentioned. That may help someone who is looking for a reference.

I actually went with the VEPR 12, and it was because of price and not being able to put rounds through the Saiga beforehand.
In my experience the VEPR's are the best of everything, and I have even got some decent groupings with the wolf ammo through my 54r. I have planned (but never executed) a decent video comparison between the different price point AK's. Just need to get all my cohorts at the range at the same time so I have access to several different AK brands, calibers and set ups.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recent (2014) Romanian AK 47 from Century Arms and it is solid as a rock. No canting of the sights, no mag wobble, no milling fileing or cuts. The WASR 10 is great to shoot and a hell of a lot more accurate than people that don't own them say. I tricked mine out with ATI tac furniture as well as painting/baking matt black. Added the side rail for scope (yes a scope) and love shooting it with the ammo so cheap. Draws attention where ever you go. Once you own one, you will understand why there are ak guys (and gals) everywhere. I still love my Colt AR, but I shoot the AK as much for fun than anything else. Century has got their game back and puts out a very good product.

Landser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have mak90 93 prefix straight cut , two akm 74s both Bulgarian, an amd 65, an O pap under folder , Romanian Draco, Polish 47, polish tantal 74, and an rpk, of these the 74s are the most accurate then the mak90. That being said at 300 meters I have no difficulty dropping a magazine on an 18 inch plate. I also have a psl 54c but I won't compare it because of the cartridge difference.

If you just want a simple ak to get the job done I would just grab a decent wasr inspected by yourself. To be honest though if your like me and use optics your going in for at least 1100 by the time you have all your magazines a vortex, Burris or much more for an aim point and either a Midwest industries fore end or ultimak fore end. Get a Belorussian side mount and a good at least two or three hundred dollar reputable optic that's reliable and your good to go. If you use optics buy the right one for your needs and don't skimp. Foreign also hold value over American ones but some American ones are really doing good right now as far as fit Finnish and construction sush as RAS and DDI avoid I.O. IMHO. I have been swimming upstream against the black rifle tide for along time and learned this buy the album you want..... Secure at least ten magazines mark four for the range for that gun and put the other six up get an ass load of ammo and any thing more than 4x scope isn't practical in fact a good aim point micro or Burris is the way to go and learn your hold over.

On a side note if a person is as wide as your front sight they are 100 meters out half the size about 200 and a third about three hundred . 200 meters out hold over about half a person or a bit less and three hundred a person and a half. The magazine makes a great bottle opener also and in a pinch the bottom plate a screwdriver best of luck your mileage may vary but I have had a great time with the ak 47 -74 platform the 74 is a different hold over scheme.

Latest posts

Top Bottom