Tell me about Mitchell's Mausers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
When I was younger I had a fascination with German WWII firearms. I always saw these ads in some gun magazine for collectible k98k mausers with nazi markings sold by Mitchell's Mausers. So me being young and not knowing a lot about guns, I begged my dad for one and worked it off doing things around the house and farm that summer.

Now... I've looked on the Internet now about them and everyone says not to buy them. Never found a reason why not to buy them.

Are these rifles not any good? I've shot mine only a handful of times since I've had it. But it looks really nice. Was I dumb for wanting it when I was younger? Does it have any value now? Maybe ya'll can tell me more. Thanks guys!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are simply "refinished" K98's. I'm not aware of anything being wrong with them. It's just that their collector value has not been enhanced, and some would say has been eroded, by the process Mitchell put them through.

Mitchell's sin is in the way they advertise them, and in the price they charge for them.

If your's is a typical Mitchell's Mauser, it is probably a good shooter and worth more now than when you bought it. Don't sweat it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wartime Mausers had various "nazi" stampings on them. Your's aren't necessarily fake. Personally, I wouldn't beat the heck out of any rifle, but I'd sure use it without worrying about it.

I'm sure some Mauser buffs will chime in soon and offer some more constructive info than mine.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also heard they stamp some of the "SS" and other markings on some of them to try and pass them off as some of the more desireable collector rifles. I'd guess any rifle they sell with the "standard" Nazi-era markings are probably legit.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at a few, they are refurbed, not too bad of a job, but not too great, either. Overpriced, and Mitchell's bowed to PC when they quit advertising with the waffenampts. They advertise 'em with an "Iron Cross" where the swastika is supposed to be. (in the ad, not on the gun)

I'd hunt with it, and since there's no real collector value in a refurb, I'd suggest bedding the action. Most of the old Mausers are pretty oil-soaked in that area, and a little Dremel work and AcraGlass will often make'em shoot better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom