Testing an AR 500 plate, distance? Caliber? For a valid result. Ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking about doing a penetration test on some heavy curved plates someone gave me a few years ago. Bought a carrier vest to put them in, tried it on and was disabused of the notion I could move very far or fast wearing it. Bummed out to be truthful. Would a distance of 50 yards, rifle bullet calibers, 5.56, 7.62X39, .308 WIN, 30-06 SPR. Be a fair, valid test?

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nope....the calibers you mentioned 200 yards be a better test. If you look up some of the ar500 and ar550 target for sale sights it will explain it a lot better than I could on here.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What thickness AR500? I've shot all of those at my 1/2" AR500 plate at well short of the distance mentioned (not advised, but it is what it is) and there has been zero penetration. I have some pitting but you can mag dump a M1A at 20 yards if you so choose and have zero holes.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read some things on their website, said they fired six rounds of 7.62X51 ball at 50.3 feet (?) with no significant back face deformation, no penetration. Haven’t measured these plates thickness, looks like 1/2” + or- to me. The more I read about trauma pads that can be bought, placed behind the plates to spread out the impact on your internal organs, the more serious realization of injury, damage or death that can occur. Not like holly weird movie BS.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read some things on their website, said they fired six rounds of 7.62X51 ball at 50.3 feet (?) with no significant back face deformation, no penetration. Haven’t measured these plates thickness, looks like 1/2” + or- to me. The more I read about trauma pads that can be bought, placed behind the plates to spread out the impact on your internal organs, the more serious realization of injury, damage or death that can occur. Not like holly weird movie BS.
You absofrigginglutely want the pads. Most people don't think about this. Long range hits may not hurt as much, but close contact hits can (depending on the caliber and volume ) mess you up.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot mine at 50 yards before with a 180 grain traveling over 2900 fps and it didn’t even dimple it but it did knock my target stand over. Although it was sitting up hill and the swinging of the plate caused it

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Level 3 Body Armor.

Thanks CGS1, that answered some questions I had. Looks like he fired at around 20-30 yards. Not that it matters, but when he is as well off has he must be, why wouldn’t he put a new front sight on his bolt action 30-06 rifle? Won’t bother to fix an old “FUD” Gun?

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot mine at 50 yards before with a 180 grain traveling over 2900 fps and it didn’t even dimple it but it did knock my target stand over. Although it was sitting up hill and the swinging of the plate caused it
That was a good result, I think. I’m getting the message, speed kills, hard bullets do best thru plates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom