1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

tha tha that's all folks..

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Aug 23, 2020.

1. steelfingers

steelfingers Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We bought a steer from the stock show years ago. It was a friend of mine's daughters and it didn't make the sale. We always bought one that didn't get much premium or didn't make sale to help out as well as putting premiums on animals that were from folks that picked one out of their small operation or paid what they could from a local. She was so small moving that huge steer around the show auction floor you knew she spent every day with it. Anyway, we talked to her dad and gave them a very good price, still less than it would have cost off the shelf but that's not the point. We put her in a lot and corn fed for about a month to make sure any antibiotics or steroids' were out of the system and dropped her off for processing. That summer we were eating out side when she and her dad stopped by and we asked them to eat as we were grilling some great food and had plenty. She asked me where our farm was out in the country and I asked what farm. She said the one where I took hobo to live (hobo was the name of her steer). I looked at her Dad and he said that it was almost in Kansas and we couldn't go see Hobo. I felt a little guilty watching her cut and eat the steak formerly known as Hobo.
    Don't let your little kids name their steers unless you want to put them on my great farm in Kansas to roam free. Ha

shotty, crrcboatz, Catt57 and 3 others like this.
  2. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

My brother and I have been getting my niece’s show steer processed the last couple years, and we’ve gotten spoiled to the quality of the meat. My brother tried to get me to split a show pig last month, but I had to pass due to my freezers still being too full. He actually just told me over Thanksgiving that he was less than impressed with the pork.:anyone:

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. jakeman

jakeman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That's a good deal on the kill date.

We had a steer done about 6-8 weeks ago and we got the next available kill date when we picked him up.

January 5. 2022

Holy hell.

4. beardking

beardking Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know it shouldn't, but that really made me laugh. :-)

As for not naming livestock, just do like we did when I was a kid. The pigs were named Ham, Sausage and Bacon and the steer was named Roast. Knowing what the names meant made it a little odd for me when my grandparents named a calf after me one year.

5. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We bought a steer once.
    My dad wrote on his calendar, "RP bought a steer. Predict won't eat steer."
    We named him T-Bone
    My dad wrote on his calendar, "RP named the steer. Predict will NEVER eat steer."
    The steer got out one Saturday and we spent all day looking for it. Finally got it back Saturday evening.
    My dad wrote on his calendar, "RP mad at steer. STILL predict he won't eat steer."
    We had my parents over for some nice grilled steaks when we got him back from the butcher.

My dad said, "I really didn't think you'd do it."

:laugh6:

dennishoddy and RickN like this.
  6. Dale00

Dale00 Sharpshooter

It's real life. Sad that most are so far removed from it. We posted on this topic before but humanely taking an animal hunting or processing a domestic meat animal is pretty much a rite of passage into adulthood.

7. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

When I was a kid, my Grandfather raised three pigs for slaughter one year for himself and a couple friends, and I started out calling them Huey, Duey, and Louis. As the slaughter date got close, my Grandfather renamed them Pork Chops, Bacon, and Ribs.:thumb:

beardking, dennishoddy and druryj like this.
  8. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We called them "Cowbass Cowbass!" and "Si-kalf Si-kalf!" They would all come running.

dennishoddy likes this.
  9. Shinneryfarmer

Shinneryfarmer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Know the feeling, wife has a name for everyone of them the day their born. I can not remember all the names but she can keep them straight. Which helps when sorting.

dennishoddy likes this.
  10. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Flashback 1977 11th grade FFA gilt was named Janice, my mothers name was Janice.. All the hoofed food gets named,of course we ain't naming the chickens, at least not yet.. The 2 steers now are Ribeye and Brisket..

steelfingers and THAT Gurl like this.