1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

tha tha that's all folks..

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Aug 23, 2020.

1. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This was in a Reader's Digest many years ago...

A family bought a steer to fatten up and butcher, and naturally the kids made a pet out of him, and named him Charlie (or something like that IIRC).

After he was in the freezer, one daughter's friend was visiting when they cooked hamburgers and hot dogs. All the family kids wanted hot dogs, because they didn't want to eat Charlie.

The little girl visiting said, "I'll have a hamburger. I didn't know him that well."
    :drunk2:

HoLeChit likes this.
  2. murphranch

murphranch Sharpshooter

My girls have always fed the bottle calves or orphaned calves and have shown pigs and sheep in 4%H. They give them names like meatloaf, chicken fry and calferolle. As soon as they were able to understand the circle of life and to appreciate a damn good ribeye the whole slaughter thing has been easy for them to understand and I’m thankful for it. I guess growing up on the ranch they realize it’s a business not a petting zoo. I remember what my youngest daughter who was 6 at the time said once when a sickly bottle calf died. She came in the house with the milk in the bottle and I asked her why Oreo didn’t drink it’s bottle. She said “peehearted thing is dead”. The oldest daughter asked if we were gonna give it TLC-the logging chain. I have my hands full with these 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timmy59 and dennishoddy like this.
  3. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Us kids grew up eating our own animal and garden produce, I, the wife and I are just carrying on a family tradition..
    Wilbur hung at 202 lbs so the freezer pork section should be in good shape.. Ribeye's date isn't until August unless we get a cancellation date.. The processor said he was booked up on beef dates into 2022..

HoLeChit likes this.
  4. steelfingers

steelfingers Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    What part of the world are you Tim?

5. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. Being a younger guy, I understood that was how it was, but was far removed. I ate plenty of my own fish, but never had anyone in the family that hunted. I feel that owning pets and practicing animal husbandry are some of the most valuable lessons young people can learn. I’ve had to learn those lessons on my own, and am still. Heck, I’m 32 years old and went squirrel hunting for the first time in my life this weekend. I fully intend on doing my best to teach my future generations these lessons. Even if it’s just feeding a solitary chicken and butchering it.

6. steelfingers

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Know a couple of good processors

7. steelfingers

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You are a good parent

8. MrChris

MrChris Sniper

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Keep doing what you are doing. The world needs more like you.