1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

The .22 pistols no longer thrill me

Discussion in 'Shooting Chat' started by swampratt, Jan 23, 2015.

1. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That is correct I have 2 pistols and thought I would enjoy shooting them.
    Not so much.
    Not enough devastation or carnage I suppose. I do however really enjoy my 357 mag and 45acp and shooting my rifles.
    Re-thinking this whole 22 pistol thing ,,that is all.

2. aviator41

aviator41 Sharpshooter

They have their place, and can be great for training. Keep that in mind.

3. Gabriel42

Gabriel42 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You trying to sandbag the ad I just placed for a couple .22lr pistols? Lol, just kidding.

I found a new appreciation for mine recently with the approval and delivery of a suppressor for them.

4. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    So sorry about the add timing.
    That pistol you posted is a higher end one than what I have and probably is a bit more accurate.

There is one pistol in .22 that I really liked and it was a friends grandfathers a 6 shooter with a 12" barrel and he could hit a tin can can at 100 paces every time . We had a bunch of cans set up. I suppose if mine was that accurate I would enjoy them a bit more. His pistol with him shooting actually out shot my grandfather's old stevens semi auto .22 rifle with my blind eyes shooting the rifle 20-60 vision I refused to get glasses when I was a teen.

That shooting day taught me a few lessons. I have yet to see a .22 pistol shoot that well, he never missed!
    That is all standing and shooting no rests.

5. Biggsly

Biggsly Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My S&W 63 is one my favorite guns to shoot. The Ruger SR is also fun, but it is all about what you like.

6. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    swampratt, i think you should check out a s&w model 17 with the 8 3/8's barrel. thats some fun plinking right there!

7. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Funny, I had a Browning Buckmark Silhouette with a 9 7/8" barrel. I had a Harris bipod and Leupold 4X pistol scope mounted on it. It was monotonously, repeatably one hole accurate. My buddies I frequently shot .22's with all hated it, because it would run circles around their rifles. I ultimately sold it because there was no challenge in shooting it. It wasn't "shooting", it was "hitting". Every... Time...

It's rare that I miss it for that reason. I still haven't figured out WTH is wrong with me that I'd sell it? :anyone:

8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Bring those pistols to a steel challenge match at your local range for some real fun!

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Sharpshooter

Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
    ^^^This right here^^^

That, plus I am seeing .22lr ammo back on the shelves and the prices seem to be coming down.

.22 WMR, on the other hand, still seems to be pretty scarce and panic priced.

I recently picked up a couple of 50 rounders of Hornady Critical Defense 45grain .22 WMR's for about $5 less per box than I've seen them priced at most other places though, so maybe there is hope for .22 Magnum, too.

10. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

This right here( I also like shooting other reactive targets too), steel challenge is addictive!

Go and buy yourself some of the small .22 plate racks an shoot at those set up at different range's from 10yds out to 50yds, and add in some bullseye targets too. Now mix that all up with a rifle added to the fun.