The 44 Auto Mag Returns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of the original auto mags in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
Got it fairly reasonable and later sold it for the same reason I bought it although at a much higher price.
There were no ammo manufacturers for .44 automag back then. One had to fire form the brass from 30-06 brass as the gun required rimless ammo. Get a stock of brass built up, go shoot and spend an hour looking for that one piece of brass that you couldn’t find and be depressed when not finding it.
It was such a PITA to make brass that it wasn’t fun to shoot.
I see in the video there is a company making loaded ammo, but the current price won’t lure me away from the Super Redhawk any time soon.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wildey I had was in .45 Win Mag, I had it for a few years and never shot it. It was neat looking and more of a conversation piece, I always wanted one and when I got it I decided I didn't need it. I had a dealer friend sell it for me. I think there still making them though, mine was an older one like Charles Bronson had in Death Wish III, except his was in .475. I just prefer big bore revolvers, I read that the Wildey was not reliable at all and had breakage problems plus it was huge! Probably weighed 5 lbs and had a 10" barrel. If I were going to try another big auto pistol it would be a Desert Eagle in the new .429 DE caliber. It's a .50AE necked to .429, I think it throws a .44 240 grain bullet out at 1700fps or so.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an original and quickly tired of loading for it. Making the brass was a pain and it never threw ejected cases to the same point. I found a model 29 to be just as effective and a lot less trouble to maintain. This new toy will not be on my want list.

pbcaster45

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one of the crazy ones I guess... but I'm really happy with it! It's a handful!

Attachments

• 44 AMP.jpg
    44 AMP.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom