The Chair is done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that was fun. Complete restoration and I learned from it for my next project. I'm pleased with it and going to use it as my reloading room chair. Fixed the spring issue and every thing back original except the rollers that were worn down to nubs. Had to remove some rust but this thing was made of steel and oak. I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted (and knew I could do) and that's what I got. Very pleased. Tons of sanding a small detail work with prolonged rest so my lung could expel some of the dust...Ha...but every minute worth it.
No more pics or annoying threads...I kinda promise.
Chair done 1.JPG
Chair done 2.JPG

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@steelfingers; I am by no means very knowledgeable about various woods used to make furnture; but is that what is called "quarter sawn" oak? By the way, it looks like a great job.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@steelfingers; I am by no means very knowledgeable about various woods used to make furnture; but is that what is called "quarter sawn" oak? By the way, it looks like a great job.

Quarter sawn oak furniture is the most expensive and rare in the world because of the time and expense required to make it. All of the wood is cut by humans with hand-held US quarters using the ridged edges (also called reeded edges) to cut and saw the wood into the required lengths. This takes an incredible amount of time, extensive manual labor, and replacement of the quarters as the edges wear down and have to be replaced with new ones. It can take decades or even centuries to build quarter sawn oak furniture.

ridged-quarters.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom