the cost of wind power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The equivalent cost for a gallon of gasoline in the early days of the internal combustion engine was just over $5 per gallon.

Natural gas was once for the wealthy elite.

Half a gallon of whale oil prior to natural gas was $1.92. An equivalent to almost $60 today.

Coal was once only for the wealthy elite.

The entire history of heat, light, and power generation in our country was once too expensive and subsidized by the government to push technology to make it affordable, reliable, and attainable by all. It's understandable how politics may keep some from realizing it, we're merely seeing history repeat itself for the benefit of all.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they ever figure out how to get the rare earth minerals, or the mteals needed for battery production WITHOUT large scale mining, all of this will be a mute point. But in the immortal words written on the School of Mines basic engineering building in 1977..... Go ahead and ban mining, let the bas**#ds freeze in the dark!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF they ever figure out how to make the needed batteries without it being worse than fossil fuels, wind and solar might be useful.
I'd think a mid-sized wind charging unit would be more practical than those giant ones.

Construction, transportation, maintenance, and end-of-life disposal/recycling would be much more easily accomplished if blades were in the 20-40ft range and the generating unit was sized accordingly.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd still think a more mid-sized wind charging unit would be more practical than those giant ones.

Construction, transportation, maintenance, and end-of-life disposal/recycling would be much more easily accomplished if blades were in the 20-40ft range and the generating unit was sized accordingly.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
They already make em. Right here in Norman OK.
Very cost prohibitive too

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That dude seriously needs an editor; his writing style isn't nearly as coherent as he apparently thinks it is. He's throwing out hard numbers without actually explaining where he gets them, aside from hand-waving about tax subsidies (which are apparently primarily just tax breaks, just like the ones that greenies incorrectly call subsidies when applied to oil & gas). Not to sound like my 7th grade math teacher, but when you're throwing out hard numbers, you need to show your work, not just say "$80 - subsidies = $25." Or at least give me some sort of references where I can go work the math out for myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom