The Criminal Paradigm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm... great thread, and sobering.

Q: Who dictates and enforces the standard for physical condition and training that peace officers (for any given municipality) should meet? And why is it not sufficient or improving? Where/Who can apply pressure to improve this? something is driving this and apathy or ignorance are prime potential culprits.

I was personally convicted by this article, as at 42 I have gotten more lazy (and fat) than is healthy and am an example of the declining physical capabilities of the middle class. I can't give any valid reasons (just excuses), but I know I am more tired than ever. Not entirely physically, but more mentally. Tired from the dull stress of seeing things getting worse and feeling that I have little effective remedy to pursue for the greater good, save that of preparing myself and my family. I don't like what's happening in society, but I doubt that I can personally effect many changes, so I rarely do anthing outside of my backyard and lately have done less and less anywhere. This makes me a part of the problem and I need to change.

One other comment, Allowing hard core criminal inmates to train in self defense tactics seems ludicrous. Well for that matter allowing hard core criminals to languish in jail on my tax dollar is a crime as well. In my opinion, your rights in this society are forfeit the minute you violate other inncocent peoples basic rights to life and liberty (and in some cases the pusuit of happiness ;) ). Speedy trials and public hangings for hardcore criminals. Works for me. As for dealing with the other threats, if you don't have skilz and won't or can't prepare yourself, pray you have some help.

Thanks MB.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike, I was referring to trends observed in the FBI Uniform Crime Report, etc. and trends reported by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm

[Broken External Image]

Now, I am not disagreeing with you as far as trends in police and citizen mindset, and the fact we all need to get off our collective asses more and train. Just throwing some numbers out there for community digestion.

Edit: is it possible the recent downward trend has anything to do with the explosion of concealed carry legislation nationwide? I'd like to think so...we'll need another 20 years of numbers to be sure, though. ;)

This is classic manipulation fo the UCR.

Not by Mons Meg, but by the Department of Justice.

For instance now if a juvenile is arrested for a violent crime it may not get classified as a "violent crime" because the juvenile doesn't get reverse-certified.

They also don't classify simple assault or assault and battery as violent crimes because of differing statutes.

Personally if my teeth get knocked out, I call it a violent crime but the DOJ doesn't.

They have also changed the standard for aggravated assault based on the type i.e. with a weapon vs disparate abilities.

They also don't classify the felony possession of a weapon charges as violent crimes despite the fact that in the vast majority of states this charge usually relates to possession during an act.

The standards have changed over the years because if it were the same, the public would be calling for law enforcement administrations' heads on a platter and politicians just can't have that.

The W's and Clintons of the world like to tell us they're reducing the crime rate but I'm here to say it ain't so.

Michael Brown

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
hmm... thanks for the insight MB. That's good to hear from someone who should know what they're talking about! Not that the news is good...

So, I'm doing as much as I can to become a more difficult victim, but anyone have advice on getting new converts? Like trying to talk my parents and sisters into at least being aware and owning a gun? Or friends at church?

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is classic manipulation fo the UCR.

Not by Mons Meg, but by the Department of Justice.

For instance now if a juvenile is arrested for a violent crime it may not get classified as a "violent crime" because the juvenile doesn't get reverse-certified.

They also don't classify simple assault or assault and battery as violent crimes because of differing statutes.

Fair enough...I wasn't trying to call you out as a Chicken Little, btw...I honestly wanted to know what we might not be seeing in the numbers offered up by DOJ. They admit to changing their protocol in 1993 (as indicated by the shaded area in the graph), right about the time you see the drastic downturn.

As someone once said, "the plural of anecdote is not data." That being said, I think we need to keep our heads on straight when preparing ourselves to counter threats. Just think airline security and TSA, and do the opposite of that and you should be fine. ;)

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember reading a book some 10/12 years ago. By a Preacher who had a vision. I think his name was David Wilkerson. Who saw young people who were super predator's roaming in gangs. Now we have MS-13(Mara Salvatrucha) coming in because of our open border. This gang comes mainly from El Salvador. Many were in the army there. They wear blue and white and the weapon of choice is the Machete. And they are very bad people. Gird your loins guys.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think prisoners should be able to train in any type of combat or even lift weights. If they want exercise, put them on a work detail or make them run, thats it. What can we do as a group to band together, find a sympathetic law maker and get something done about this? Maybe if OK passes a law, other states will follow, like they did with our changes to cut down on meth making?

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to tell you. But, the sudo law has not slowed down meth. It is coming in from Mexico big time. I don't think we will win the war on drugs. As long as there is demand there will be supply. We can pass laws but people have to have the want to change their behavior. That blue line is gettin real thin. A cat in his cell doing a 1000 pushups a day. Can get pretty damm stout. Plus other bodyweight workouts.

Quail Fat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work with killers, armed robbers and other violent people every day.

Here's my observations:

1. Low IQ
2. Cannot plan more than 5 minutes into future
3. Fearless
4. Have no empathy
5. Have criminal family
6. Raised in Foster homes and detention centers
7. At home in Prison, very awkward out of Prison
8. If you have something they want, they will not hesitate to take it (girlfriend, watch, car, stereo, shoes, coat, wallet, money)

You see these types walking in packs at the Mall, at the State Fair and elsewhere. As far as street smarts go, they have the advantage.

First Freedom

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A lot of interesting thoughts... all I can say to the bangers is, better not bring your MMA skills to a gunfight with me. Unless you get the drop on me, which could have been done with a gun or other weapon before MMA came along. The whole demolition man theme is a thought-provoking one, to be sure - cool movie. Lol, Sly thought he was gonna score with Sandra Bullock, until he found out "sex" isn't really "sex". Drat!

The declining physical standards of LEOs, if true, is indeed a concern though - they need to be in shape because they need to CHASE down criminals - something we don't need to do. But we do need to be in shape, not so much to fight, but more so to run away and avoid a fight if possible!

Latest posts

Top Bottom