The deals. They are out there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, one of the guns that's been on my list for a long time has been a Berlin Police P1.
After the West German Federal police were re-constituted following WWII, they chose the Walther P1 (post-war version of the venerable P38), as their official sidearm. It served in that capacity for several decades, but initially there was a problem. The treaty that allowed the western Allies to retain a large portion of Berlin, despite it lying in the Soviet sector of Germany, forbid Germans from carrying German weapons there. Which meant police officers stationed in Berlin would have to be trained in and supplied with an alternative sidearm. This didn't sit well with the German authorities, so to get around the restriction, they had the Walther factory manufacture a batch of unmarked P1 parts. These were sent to the Manurhin Machinery Company in France, where the parts were assembled and the guns were stamped with Manurhin logos, "Pistolet P1" and "Made in France." A sunburst logo on the triggerguard indicates Berlin Police property.
More about the "French" P1s here:
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/French Rifles/Pistols/manurhinP1_us/manurhinP1_us.html

Interarms imported a batch of these back in the '90s, but I missed out on one then, and the few I've encountered since have generally had a premium price over a regular P1, reflecting their relative scarcity and interesting Cold War history. Anyhow, I was at the local pawnshop on Saturday, looking for some cheap tools to throw in a motorcycle saddlebag. But of course I had to wander over and check out the guns, even though there's rarely anything interesting. I was a little surprised to see what appeared to be a P38 there amongst the Taurus and Jennings pistols, I was much more surprised to realize it was a Manurhin P1 wearing P38 grips, and flat out shocked when I saw the price. The pawnshop guys had no idea what it was, but figured that, being French, it couldn't be any good, and just wanted to get rid of it. Which I was happy to help them with.

i182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Gewehrs_Pistols_20Dec_202014_xGuns22814003_zpsebd63396.jpg

i182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Gewehrs_Pistols_20Dec_202014_xGuns22814007_zps9eccad30.jpg

It badly needs cleaning, and the wartime grips, though cool, aren't correct so far as I can determine. Fortunately, P1 grips are readily available and inexpensive. I haven't shot it yet, but the bore is strong and everything functions at 100% on the bench.

i182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Gewehrs_Pistols_20Dec_202014_xGuns22814011_zps01345bd9.jpg

And oh yeah, the price:

i182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Gewehrs_Pistols_20Dec_202014_xGuns22814004_zps3d468c64.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I purchased all of my Walther's while stationed in Germany, and still love to take them out to the range. Just don't ever run any hot 9MM ammo through her, and she'll last you a long time!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom