The EDC Flashlight Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead; ordered one of those Atoms and a headlamp kit for myself! Use coupon code cpf8 at checkout for 8% off orders over $20.00.

Rabbit

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am the owner of a one of those FordEx group CREE LED lights coming out of china for cheap on amazon. I'm sure you've seen them around the web.

[Broken External Image]

I decided to try it out after my buddy showed me his. I was surprised at the output and construction of this $4 light. That's right 4 green backs is the price you pay for the plastic "front-of-Walmart" lights. But this light was aluminum, and had an output darn near 300lm in bright mode. Oh, did I mention that it has low, high, and strobe functions?

Well I got on the web and I bought 8 of them.

Why? Well for one they were just so darn cheap. I justified it as having backups and backup last-minute gifts always on hand. It took them several weeks to ship from China, but they made it.

I gave one away to a friend for an EDC light. I carry the FordEx light over my larger fenix.

And also, replacing AAs infrequently was a nice change of pace from changing CR123s frequently. My wallet thanks me. But the strength and weakness of this little light are in the moving lenses head. The head slides forward and back, focusing the beam, or expanding the light field as desired. When I first started playing with my buddy's light, I thought the moving head piece was hokey. But it was a cheap light so I wasn't complaining. However the combination of the low and high beams with the ability to change the focus of the beam are quite powerful. For indoor, small tasks, such as untangling computer wires under a desk or poking around under my car seats, using the low beam and wide spread, is perfect. But with the same light, I can switch to high and focused and spotlight things across a field.

However the moving head has a weakness. While the battery compartment I sealed by an O-ring, the head allows water under the lenses.

So while the light still functions under shallow submersion (I haven't tested it at depth) the water gets in and can fog your beam.

I was able to get all the water out, after shaking it out for a while. But it's food for thought.

Also, the screws that hold the pocket clip: no Buenos.

But it's $4. And you get more than what you paid for.

farm8.staticflickr.com_7325_11243081445_894685d36f_c.jpg

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shiningbeam Spark. Freaking love it. 280 lumen, tail clicker, 4 modes ( twist head for mode, will stay in mode until you change it), ability to run 2AA or CR123 with whatever tube you choose. its an inexpensive light that is superbly built and bright as hell.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nitecore MT2A has survived the washing machine, the dryer, endless nights at the 10' deep end of the pool, a few falls from 20+ feet in the air, and countless hide and seek / monster finds with my daughter. I have a few fenix lights but IMHO nothing really compares to nitecore in price, durability, and function.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AW, Orbtronics, Eagletac, Panasonic -- naturally, make sure they are PROTECTED cells. Nitecore has a new batt. that seems to be gaining a following.

Use caution with Ultrafires.

Ref. candlepower forums if you need to get a second opin. of the same info.

Most all top choices use cells from Panasonic.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a Nitecore SRT3 or Olight S10? Looking for something to fit in pocket, must have clip and tail switch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom