The effect of long term unemployment and free stimulus money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
August or September. I do not remember which is when the extra $300 a week ends. That is when a lot of people are going to start looking for jobs. The smart ones will start a month early for the best shot at a higher paying job.
I believe I heard that the extra $300 benefit ends on Labor Day.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enid has a new chain restaurant called J.T Coltons. Mom and dad like to eat there and one of the waitresses cleans houses part time. She cleans mom and dads house and told them that they are closing at least part time because they can’t get anyone to work.
Next, Edmond has a brand new Burger King that has closed the dining room because they can’t get help, drive thru only. So, what is the future of businesses that primarily rely on minimum wage workers?

This was an issue before the pandemic. If you can't find workers you either hire illegals or pay more. The joys of supply/demand and the free market. One of my friends owns a number of fast food joints. Heck, when your manager has to be on food stamps... you are already depending on the govt/people to subsidize your crew.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally would just love the govt fixing my health insurance and retirement being tied to my employer. I've always found that to be stupid at best. You can get health insurance without being in a group, the premiums and coverage will give you a heart attack though.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I was out last weekend at a restaurant and someone at the table next to us was saying how they were let go in February and aren't going to start looking until next year when their unemployment runs out because they make more doing nothing than before. I would rather work for my money, but it's irritating to see my tax dollars going to waste

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Enid has a new chain restaurant called J.T Coltons. Mom and dad like to eat there and one of the waitresses cleans houses part time. She cleans mom and dads house and told them that they are closing at least part time because they can’t get anyone to work.
Next, Edmond has a brand new Burger King that has closed the dining room because they can’t get help, drive thru only. So, what is the future of businesses that primarily rely on minimum wage workers?

Since the "dempanic," I've noted that a number of fast food places are NOT opening their dining rooms. In the last year, we've found Burger King, Braum's, Taco Bueno (at least some), and maybe Long John Silvers to be about the only ones with open dining rooms, in spite of the fact that regular restaurants opened up quite some time ago.

I'm guessing that the companies not opening are doing so because they are saving money on the number of employees they need, since none are really needed to "maintain" the dining room.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been running an ad for several weeks with minimal response and the few that do respond don't show up for interview or not anywhere near qualified. Looking for part time person with accounting experience, QuickBooks a must. People today think it is great to show they have worked at 8 or 10 different places in the last 5 years. Have had more than one tell me "That is experience" !!

That's the big trend in the youth job market from petty functionaries jobs up to corporate level positions. People are loyal to the dollar, and they'll hop up and leave when someone offers them more. Can't blame em, a replacement will be hired and trained before your obit will hit the paper.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
to be quite honest, as a 90's kid who was born in web revolution, the idea of *working less and/or from home* was the friggin' ideal.

i'm not sure who is upset they can't make people pay $9 for a $2.50 burger, (plus tip!), but i really don't care. wages have been stagnant for my entire life, people don't have multiple years of experience at one company because the only way to get raises in the current job market is to job shop. everyone knows this.

i don't know. i just think people are out of touch with reality. you think major corps are going to bother with office space? surely leasing ANY property will be seen as a bottom line deduction.

oh, and one more thing: if i'm owning a line of 6 axis, programmable robotic arms, i'm not going to make them perform low profit actions like "flip patty" or "shake salt". they will be performing medical subroutines, dangerous and/or high skilled labor. the idea that low wage jobs will be the first to see replacement through automation is a fantasy.

corporations turned their back on america. now america is turning their back on them. and if it leads to more accelerated collapse when the gibs dry up (which they won't, money printer must run or you would lose everything you own), even better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom