The Expanse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering if I would enjoy The Mandalorian. I hear a lot of people rave about it. It probably doesn't matter because I doubt it will ever be on Prime or on antenna TV. [emoji16]

Do you have a Hulu subscription? You can add Disney+ and ESPN+ to a bundle for like $12/month.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just about gave up on it after Sci-Fi canceled it but gave it another shot after it was on Amazon. Glad I did. I really like it. I need to watch season 5.

It's rare for a series to actually get better after several years in production, but IMO this season is much better than last season so far.

I'm not sure why so many can't get into it. I mean I'd watch it for Amos alone. He's the ultimate pragmatist and one of the best characters in any show running.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean I'd watch it for Amos alone. He's the ultimate pragmatist and one of the best characters in any show running.
Amos is certainly one of my favorite characters in any medium, and he’s definitely my favorite in the Expanse series, both print and video. And Wes Chatham has got him nailed; from the novels, you might expect him to be a bit taller, but Chatham has his style and mannerisms down pat.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I watched the latest episode last night out of boredom I guess and they move so slowly that I lose interest quickly but I stuck it out.

It's like a darn soap opera or something and at times it even seems like the actors are bored with their roles.

Maybe it's because I never was a Trekkie or whatever Star Wars fans are called but it just doesn't work for me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amos is certainly one of my favorite characters in any medium, and he’s definitely my favorite in the Expanse series, both print and video. And Wes Chatham has got him nailed; from the novels, you might expect him to be a bit taller, but Chatham has his style and mannerisms down pat.

I haven't read the books so I can't weigh in on that aspect, but the wife and I both agree that Amos is our favorite TV character. How well does Shohreh Aghdashloo portray her character? We love how brutally blunt she is! LOL

I watched the latest episode last night out of boredom I guess and they move so slowly that I lose interest quickly but I stuck it out.

It's like a darn soap opera or something and at times it even seems like the actors are bored with their roles.

Maybe it's because I never was a Trekkie or whatever Star Wars fans are called but it just doesn't work for me.

The Expanse is definitely a slow burn type show. We weren't sure we were going to stick with it after the first episode. It took 4 episodes to say "wow, this is a really good series". I think a lot of sci-fi shows and movies forget one thing. Space is really deep and dark, so nothing happens quickly there.

When you examine the motivations and plans these characters have, you realize they're always thinking long term. Except Amos, he very much acts in the now and only worries about things as they come up, and he doesn't worry about much at all. That makes him a great juxtaposition to the other characters.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read the books so I can't weigh in on that aspect, but the wife and I both agree that Amos is our favorite TV character. How well does Shohreh Aghdashloo portray her character? We love how brutally blunt she is! LOL
I think she’s very much like the character in the novels, very blunt, very sharp, and very fond of the F word (by the end on Cibola Burn (the basis of last season), you’d think that Holden’s middle name was F—-ing :D ). Actually, most of the major characters are well-cast, although some of them are very different in the TV shows (Ashford, IIRC, was a barely competent martinet in the novels, nothing like competent, dedicated Belter patriot in the show).

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's rare for a series to actually get better after several years in production, but IMO this season is much better than last season so far.

I'm not sure why so many can't get into it. I mean I'd watch it for Amos alone. He's the ultimate pragmatist and one of the best characters in any show running.

Now I'm going to have to start Season 5 . . . .

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case any of y’all are still interested, book 9 of the Expanse series, Leviathan Falls, is out now. I was looking for preorders on it, but never saw one, just got the notification this morning from Audible that it had been released. So I’m listening to it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom