The Fixed Blade knife thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get back out to the outdoors again and as such, I find myself without a decent camp/hiking/bushcraft knife (I've sold all of my ESEEs, Beckers, Busses, and other fixed blades except for an ESEE Izula and a Spyderco MuleTeam-13).

I'm looking for something with between 4 and 5 inches of blade in any sort of decent steel/heat-treat, but I don't want any sort of "SHTF" or sharpened pry-bar type of "what if I need to batan" kind of knife. I do want full-tang construction and decent weather-proof materials, but nothing uber-fancy (nothing "tactical").

I'm looking to stay on budget since I'll need to buy at least 3 of them (planning on some outdoor activities with my two sons, daughter, and wife).

Right now, I'm finding more and more that Becker is really hard to beat and I'm kind of stuck as the $70 price-range if I want a decent blade, decent scales, and a reasonable sheath already made. I've dabbled in scale-making and sheath-making in the past, but I don't really want to go that route this time.

Ontario still produces a D2 Rat3 at around $80, but it's a touch smaller than I was hoping for (and I found a used Benchmade Nimravus for around $80 - but I fear it's too "tacti-cool" for me to carry around when hiking).

Anybody got experience with a fixed-blade that fits the above critera for less than $70 (or one that is just way better for the same or slightly more money). I really don't want to go $100 or more since I'm tripling my purchase.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kabar Becker bk16 or 17 depending on what tip you want.

The 15, 16, and 17 are exactly what I was looking at man. The BK2 is probably a little over-built (and heavier) than I'm looking for, but those Short series look perfect. The next MuleTeam from Spyderco is going to be S110V (which is stupid-high priced steel - and makes it an $89 knife), and even though it was a little smaller than I was wanting - I would have considered buying one or two for the right price. I've looked at kit-knives and everything else out there and I think I end up at $70 for a full-tang knife/scales/sheath.

Ka-Bar? Amazon usually has good prices on them.

If you're talking about the USMC fighting Ka-Bar, they're great knives but aren't exactly ideal for Bushcraft (or any heavy duties other than easy slicing and/or fighting/stabbing). They have a scrawny tang under stacked washers (which isn't a bad thing for a slicer/fighter), but I'm really looking for something with full-tang construction (like their Becker line - if that's what you were talking about, then we're on exactly the same page). I'm not planning on doing any chopping or bataning, but I've bent a USMC Ka-Bar from just hard whittling.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got both the bk2 and the 16. You're 100% correct about the bk2 being too heavy for edc. After learning that I don't really want to carry a 2lb knife around I considered both the bk16 and the kabar eskabar. Ultimately decided on the 16, stripped the coating off and heat colored it bronze. Very very happy with this decision.

Edit: actually just finished coloring my bk2
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_DDF291FF_0706_4487_B5C2_9647DAFEA306_zpskxhtqtkz.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep catching myself looking at the KA-BAR 1117 and just para-cord wrapping or buying/making some scales but then I'm right back into $60-$70 territory.

And Boker has a few fixed-blades in the Magnum series that look pretty nice (and I'm not scared of 440C - it's a good steel).

Still, those Becker Short series keep ending up at the top of the pile.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe im just old n cheap. Ive found tons n tons of good vintage knives in pawnshops, garage sales and flea markets for under $30. Buck, kabar, Case, Marbles, Queen, Schrade. Full tang, leather sheath.

I personally like Schrade-Walden. Ebay has them by the gobs.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love a good fixed blade. Wear one most every day in a sideways sheath. I carry my Moore maker the most. I gave 85 for mine. They are tough tool steel. I also have a couple that I had Ed Jones make to my specs with stainless blades. My favorite skinning fixed blade is a queen with birds eye maple handles. The queen was on sale for 60 when I bought it. The Moore maker is still one if my favorites quick to sharpen and holds its edge well. Only has a 3 1/2" blade though. .
Here's some queens

http://soonerstateknives.com/queenfixedbladeknives.htm
Here's the Moore makers
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=740997 this isn't the exact knife I have but my googlefu is weak.

Attachments

• image-3475054302.jpg
    image-3475054302.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 285

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The Condor Rodan Camp Knife has been on my list a couple of times and I may well end up with one, but I've never been a fan of 1075 (especially on the softer end of the RC scale like Condor tends to stay) for knives. I love Condor's machetes in 1075 - if I'm chopping with something and there's the possibility of hitting something harder than wood, I want the edge to roll and not chip/tear.

But in a knife, I've always been pretty unimpressed with 1075's ability to hold an edge (especially with specific tasks like: whittling/carving, feathering, drilling, etc.), and I'm kind of wanting to go the minimalist route and do as much as I can by hand (without dragging equipment in), so I really need my knife to stay sharp with as little edge maintenance while out there (I'll probably take a med/fine double-sided stone and possibly a piece of leather with paste already on it to use as a strop). It also doesn't have a true full-tang (it's basically a 3/4 tang, so no pommel at the bottom for hammering). Still, there's no denying that it's a lot of knife for the money.

I also tend to avoid natural materials in the scales/sheath as often as possible. A leather sheath tends to hold moisture against the blade (as do wood-scales that aren't stabilized like in the Condor Bushcraft Basic) and on a knife specifically intended for being out in the elements, I prefer synthetic scales/sheath. I will say that everything I've read/heard about Condor's knife-sheaths says that they're a super value (nice leather sheaths worth more than you pay for the knife).

The Cold Steel Spike is another budget knife I've been looking at, but again, the 4116 Stainless Steel isn't exactly great at holding an edge either (and the short blade-profile makes me think it will be more of a wedge than a slicer). It does have everything else I want though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom