1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

The Garand and getting screwed

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by jduff8505, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thanks Jon, will do! :)

2. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I know you will.

3. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I read on Wikipedia that we don't have to pay taxes unless we want to.......:>)

4. cktad

cktad Sharpshooter

CMP is luck of the draw, you get whatever rifle is on top of the stack when your order is filled based on what category you ordered. I have two Garands, a Collector Grade 1945 Springfield that took 2 years to get and a Service Grade 1953 IHC that is original and all correct. The IHC was a surprise as I had expected a mixmaster from CMP. It was so nice I called CMP and told them they had sent me the wrong grade of rifle. The lady at CMP just said "sometimes you get lucky, enjoy the rifle". I have shot them a couple of times and they are both great shooters.
    I also order two other service grades from CMP and they were a Springfield and an H&R, both mixmasters. The Springfield was a completely refurbished/refinished rifle with a replacement stock and looked brand new. The H&R was in very good condition with original stock and finish. I sold both to friends when I decided to pare down my collection. I ordered these rifles 15 years ago so I don't know what CMP has these days. I would go with CMP as it's like unwrapping a gift at Christmas, you do know what you'll get.

5. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    cktad, could you post pics of the IHC M1? Being it's a 1953, is it a postage stamp, a gapper, or an arrowhead? Unfortunately, I think the days of getting a surprise like an IHC from the CMP are long gone; they're slated to release a number of IHC M1's in the next few months, but I expect they'll all be postage stamp mixmasters. The correct rifles, and gappers and arrowheads, likely will all go straight to the auction venue, so anyone getting one of those in a mixmaster order would be very lucky!

6. leemozoid

leemozoid Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well, on the off chance that you stumble across one of these in your searches, I'm looking for 6099664 or 6099667. I'll pay a premium for the rifle and a finder's fee!

[​IMG]

7. leemozoid

leemozoid Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My first service grade from the CMP was an early Gap Letter IHC. It was an RRAD rebuild but oh, to have that one back now.

8. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Did you get those in the recent CMP sale of 6.0M SA's? I thought about ordering one, but decided against it. Interesting how yours are consecutive, yet have decidedly different appearances. Is the second one an arsenal rebuild?

9. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Ouch. Well, if it makes you feel any better, someone recently sold an arrowhead IHC on the CMP forum with an asking price of $4000...

10. robinray649

robinray649 Marksman

I love Garands also even tho I only have one. I have been lusting for one for the last 20 years. My wife surprised me with it for Christmas back about 10 years ago. To my surprise also it turned out to be a complete and totally correct IHC 30-06. I was really surprised that it actually had the LMR barrel dated 52 or 53. Guess I'll have to look again to be sure. After getting it zeroed I was able to hold 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Figure that was damn good considering my eyes. Still have no idea where she found it. Now I am still lusting for a m1 carbine.