The Garand and getting screwed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Garands also even tho I only have one. I have been lusting for one for the last 20 years. My wife surprised me with it for Christmas back about 10 years ago. To my surprise also it turned out to be a complete and totally correct IHC 30-06. I was really surprised that it actually had the LMR barrel dated 52 or 53. Guess I'll have to look again to be sure. After getting it zeroed I was able to hold 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Figure that was damn good considering my eyes. Still have no idea where she found it. Now I am still lusting for a m1 carbine.

Nice! Please do post pics of it when you get a chance.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get those in the recent CMP sale of 6.0M SA's? I thought about ordering one, but decided against it. Interesting how yours are consecutive, yet have decidedly different appearances. Is the second one an arsenal rebuild?

No. Neither came from the CMP. They are 1958 Type 1 NMs (verified by the CMP records). 666 is unfired since manufacture. 665 is still a 98% rifle although it has been shot in matches and the front and rear sights upgraded to NM (unhooded rear) per the 1959 regulations. I wrote an article for the GCA Journal on them but the infighting and fallout from that ultimately led to my leaving the community and selling off all of my rifles but these and "Ole's Rifle". I used to have a significant collection and actually ran for the GCA Board of Directors at one time. Now I just have four (the three previously mentioned and a 5.62 HRA for my shooter).

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch. Well, if it makes you feel any better, someone recently sold an arrowhead IHC on the CMP forum with an asking price of $4000...

I used to own 4440467. I picked it up from a Club sale in St. Joseph, MO. It had a rebuild marked leg but was still original finish. It took me a year to restore it but when I got done it was as nice as an original. M1s were my heroin. I've been clean and sober since 2007. They are things of beauty.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cktad, could you post pics of the IHC M1? Being it's a 1953, is it a postage stamp, a gapper, or an arrowhead? Unfortunately, I think the days of getting a surprise like an IHC from the CMP are long gone; they're slated to release a number of IHC M1's in the next few months, but I expect they'll all be postage stamp mixmasters. The correct rifles, and gappers and arrowheads, likely will all go straight to the auction venue, so anyone getting one of those in a mixmaster order would be very lucky!
Sorry for the late reply. Mine is a postage stamp, original LMR barrel and IHC stock with number in the handguard. I'll work on getting some pictures.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have really liked to have given CMP my business, however the whole joining process put me off. Anyway back on topic, after several deals falling through, I should have my Garand sitting in the safe tomorrow night. Pics will be coming post haste.

Jeff

Latest posts

Top Bottom