1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

The Garand and getting screwed

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by jduff8505, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The paperwork and requirements put me off too when I first heard about the CMP in the late 1990s. Now I wish I had followed through at the time, as they've had some GREAT deals on quality stuff since then. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the pics!

2. jduff8505

jduff8505 Sharpshooter

Me too Perplexed. I'm looking forward to picking everyone's brains on how to grade and service them. Also looking forward to learning to reload for her.

Jeff

3. Peace_Maker

Peace_Maker Sharpshooter

You could probably join the cmp, drive to Alabama pick your Garand and still be money ahead of what you will pay at a gunshow, if you buy two that way you will definitely save money.

4. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Not these days, unless you're looking for a M1C, M1D or a drill rifle. The CMP folks are moving uncrated and graded M1's straight to the mail order department to fill orders for Service Grade SA's (and a few HRA's as the occasional one comes up), so the store racks are pretty bare. As I understand it, they're also parting out Rack Grades and possibly Field Grades to provide parts for the SG Specials. The best thing to do is send in an order for a rifle and keep your fingers crossed you get something good - folks lately are reporting some great rifles coming in the mail, and some marginal ones, but mostly rifles that satisfy the grade description. If you want a Service Grade and can afford it, I'd suggest ordering at least two so you can keep the better or best one, and sell or part out the others.

But yes, the CMP M1's are going to be the cheapest deals around, unless you buy a rifle from a charitable relative or a clueless individual :P

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter

The two SG M1's I recently received were very nice, but I have heard that the shelves are bare in the stores. I'm heading down in March to take their "Advanced Maintenance Class" and am hoping that there will be something on the shelves at the store. Getting set up to purchase from the CMP is quick and easy and you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere.

6. Peace_Maker

Peace_Maker Sharpshooter

That sucks, I always have wanted to drive to the CMP and try to pick a nice Garand. I really need to buy another one, the only one I own is a "custom" gun that a gunsmith blued and refinished the stock, it looks beautiful (well it did before the tornado) but is totally ruined as a collector. He picked it out from the CMP in Ohio and was able to find a rack grade with all SA parts and a nicely tigerstripped stock. He recrowned the barrel and it actually is more accurate than my Fulton M14.

I need to get a proper M1 someday. Hopefully they are still reasonable and available when I get my home paid for.

7. CharlieWH2O

CharlieWH2O Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I stopped at the Anniston, AL store twice earlier this year. Their shelves were plenty bare and what was available was premium priced. Tonight on the website they are showing a 4-6 month wait for Service Grade SI at $625.00. GL on your search.

8. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I assume you mean "Service Grade SA". The wait isn't actually that bad these days; people on the CMP Timeline thread are reporting getting their SG SA's about six to eight weeks after sending in their order. One person claimed he got his in 14 days, though I take that with a big chunk of salt. I sent in my last order ten days ago, and will let you folks know how long it takes. Of course, the CMP shutting down for the holidays will add to that timeline.

9. Lone Wolf '49

Lone Wolf '49 Sharpshooter

Perplexed is being far too modest here, seriously.

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Sharpshooter

I mailed my order on 11/12/13, and the order dropped into the e-store yesterday. I may or may not see it before Christmas. If I don't, I expect it to arrive right after the 1st of the year.

Edit: I also think they're getting ready to switch from SA back to H&R. I'm hearing of backorder notices on Springfields now.