The Lee-Enfields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not for sale, I just posted as info. My son and grandson are planning on keeping it in the family. According to the Enfield web sites it's beginning to gain some collector value. I also still have the bandoleer and most of the old corrosive ammo in the 5 round strippers.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't mean anything against a gun you own, especially one that was handed down with sentimental value. My point is simply that they destroyed the historical value of quite a few No. 4's. It's as simple as that. I have an old Nylon 66 of my grandfathers. It's not worth much if I tried to sell it, but I damn sure won't be trying. As for the wandering zero, it exists. It really doesn't matter as these guns aren't terribly fun to shoot anyway, at least in my opinion. Due to the lightweight nature and 303 round, they tend to kick pretty hard. The rubber buttpad also does more harm than good in the recoil department.

Friedspam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w199_friedturkeyspam_P1010822_zpsjmfzlq1c.jpg

The one on the left is a 1947 BSA too, I gave more than $38 for mine though.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter as these guns aren't terribly fun to shoot anyway, at least in my opinion. Due to the lightweight nature and 303 round, they tend to kick pretty hard. The rubber buttpad also does more harm than good in the recoil department.

I see & hear this said about Enfields from time to time and all I can say is perception must vary, or maybe folks just aren't keeping the rifle snug against their shoulder, because it doesn't bother me. I have gone upwards of 150 rounds in a morning and don't have any trouble with it. Shooting clays with my Mossy 500 is a lot rougher on me than shooting my 303 but not too many folks complain about 12 gauge, at least not until they get old and arthritic or something.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave more than $38 for mine though.

Yeah, I bought mine after they went up. My Dad had one that he bought in the early 90s for $70 at a pawn shop... I think I gave $300ish for mine. B
ut it came with quite a bit of ammo and I REALLY like it, so it was money well spent.

Friedspam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cringe when I hear the words "unissued" especially when I became the owner some 65 years after the JC was built, but other than a couple little scratches through the shellac it shows no signs of the normal wear you would see on a rifle fired several hundred times. The bolt face looks new, the bore is remarkable, it could be one of these. The buddy I bought it from in Nebraska hadn't fired it but he didn't know about the previous owner, etc.
I've owned it for 4 or 5 years and haven't shot it myself. The other rifles I have fired and are fairly pleasant to shoot, kind of like a 308 from a heavy rifle. The JC has that "rubber" butt pad which is really so hard it might has well have been metal, it is probably half the surface area of a standard but pad and the rifle is lighter. I suspect it will be less comfortable to shoot than the other Enfields due to that alone. I'm going to shoot it next trip to the range and I'll know then.
Thanks for the compliments on the collection.

Mike

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i love them too. I have a 1919 version that has been handed down for many years, I got a shorty from a pawn shop that is now a carbine, and a savage I traded someone on her for. Haven't shot them in years, but my hoarding nature always has me looking for milsurp .303, but those days are mainly over...though I probably got enough to shoot them often enough. Sure like that scoped rifle, very slick

Latest posts

Top Bottom