The milsurp truck gun...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
The kind where you can throw it in bed of truck to rattle around until needed.

I always wanted a Swedish M-94 carbine to butcher by ditching excess wood and bands, but, never could do that to one.

Then I found one at auction for $150 where somebody already did it, and where they upped the ante by cutting/forging flat/rewelding the turned down bolt handle...could have done without that last touch, but will say it is utterly snag free and gun lays flat on either side now, and never will prod back if a sling installed. It is missing the rear sight slide lock, but happily is zeroed at the BSZ and just fine for iron sight range, which is considerable in 6.5x55.

This is about the size of a 10/22 and a pound heavier, and my own idea of the come hell or high water brush gun.

Going by bore and metal condition and extension threaded to barrel, this was one of rougher ones imported in the early 1960s, no importer mark, and never any manner of collector-grade, before anyone considers slashing wrists on viewing. Strictly a utility gun which still outshoots most lever actions at 100yds, not to mention packing the mail.

Last edited:

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
Such truck gun use was quite common both in my youth when Rose's Dept Store sporting goods had wooden barrels crammed with cosmoline packed beater Mausers for $18ea, and even much later circa 20yrs ago when beater fencepost wood Turk Mausers flooded the market for $49, with 100rd bandoleers of really hot 1930s vintage Turk ammo for $5ea...many in both instances with cracked/broken stocks and same with guards, if there at all.

In both instances, I knew folk who bought them and then left them in bed of truck, sometimes with a spraypaint job to forestall rust, and others who figured blasting out rust from barrel would suffice. None of these were collectible , and only modern insanity/desperation has people paying insane high prices today for similar condition guns.

They were, and are, beaters...and perfect truck bed or barn guns...or action donors for a prettier gun.

Bill_Long_Tan

Marksman
Reaction score
Such truck gun use was quite common both in my youth when Rose's Dept Store sporting goods had wooden barrels crammed with cosmoline packed beater Mausers for $18ea, and even much later circa 20yrs ago when beater fencepost wood Turk Mausers flooded the market for $49, with 100rd bandoleers of really hot 1930s vintage Turk ammo for $5ea...many in both instances with cracked/broken stocks and same with guards, if there at all.

In both instances, I knew folk who bought them and then left them in bed of truck, sometimes with a spraypaint job to forestall rust, and others who figured blasting out rust from barrel would suffice. None of these were collectible , and only modern insanity/desperation has people paying insane high prices today for similar condition guns.

They were, and are, beaters...and perfect truck bed or barn guns...or action donors for a prettier gun.
I like it

Latest posts

Top Bottom