The "No Steel Ammo" Rule at Indoor Ranges...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been told at a couple indoor ranges that they don't allow steel jacketed ammo because their insurance company won't allow it because of the fire hazard. If this is true, I can't really blame them for banning it. It is possible that they're using it as a cop-out. I've heard anecdotal evidence of sparks from steel-jacketed rounds lighting unburned powder down range so I'll admit the possibility.

I don't really buy the backstop argument; I think that comes from old Soviet ammo which has a steel core, which might damage backstops more than lead core ammo.

The most likely possibility in my opinion is that they just want you to buy their ammo :)

Bottom line is, BS or not, it's their range so they make the rules. If you don't like it, shell out and join a private range.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been told at a couple indoor ranges that they don't allow steel jacketed ammo because their insurance company won't allow it because of the fire hazard. If this is true, I can't really blame them for banning it. It is possible that they're using it as a cop-out. I've heard anecdotal evidence of sparks from steel-jacketed rounds lighting unburned powder down range so I'll admit the possibility.

I don't really buy the backstop argument; I think that comes from old Soviet ammo which has a steel core, which might damage backstops more than lead core ammo.

The most likely possibility in my opinion is that they just want you to buy their ammo
:)

Bottom line is, BS or not, it's their range so they make the rules. If you don't like it, shell out and join a private range.

That "ancedotal evidence" I have seen firsthand. If it wasn't for the obvious safety aspect of an unexpected FIRE:eek2:, it is kinda cool to watch the powder go up. :ooh2:

Actually you would be amazed at the damage that backstop takes, even from lead core ammo ... stop and consider just how many rounds goes downrange on any given day there and multiply that times 365 (well, okay, subtract Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving Day). They regularly have to close down the pistol bay and have the welder come out to do maintenance.

Even the bays with the rubber backstops have to be maintained but they don't have near the potential for rickochets that the old metal backstop does. (However, I have seen firsthand what happens when some dimwit hits a hanger and the bullet shatters and richochets back ... )

And they don't care if you buy their ammo or not. You are welcome to leave and go get ammo at Wal-Mart and come back. It's kinda like with the rental guns and you having to buy the ammo from them. They are just trying to minimize the potential for damage to their equipment.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different ranges my friend.

Also a buddy of mine shoots his FN five-seven all the time at the range, and I know for a fact that his bullets (humming at 2200+ ft/s) are causing more damage to the backstop than my Mak would ever do, even with mine having just a bit of steel in them.

I could be incorrect since I am old and know squat but I would guess that if you are shooting 5.7 you are assigned a rifle range, not a pistol range? Correct me if I am wrong. Please.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be incorrect since I am old and know squat but I would guess that if you are shooting 5.7 you are assigned a rifle range, not a pistol range? Correct me if I am wrong. Please.

:bowdown: I was wondering about that but couldn't remember the maximum fps rules ... been too long for this old woman!! :sorry4:

Besides the hottest stuff I shoot now is that old dead caliber ... you know ... .357sig ;)

Dionysusigma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a couple of friends from work shooting for their first time about a month ago at H&H; one of them, though he's owned a pistol for about five years now, has never shot it. Anyhoo, we get all signed in and set up, and after getting the novice up and running, the one with his own has already started blasting away, commenting how fun it was and why hadn't he done this sooner. :rolleyes2 :D

Anyway, about five minutes in, something hit my forehead, which I assumed to be a spent .22 case from the novice. Watching downrange to see how he's doing, I notice a few sparks coming from the lane over from us--where the other guy was shooting. Turns out he'd bought steel-cased Monarch from Academy and didn't know what might happen, and the clerk never checked. About this time another thing hit me in the cheek, and it was a piece of jacket, presumably from the Monarch. I stopped him immediately, and gave him a couple boxes of the Federal ammo I had with me, and the sparks and ricochets stopped.

Yeah, it's cheaper to shoot, but unsafe if your backstop isn't a simple dirt berm.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked a spent 45ACP slug up off my range bag on the back wall of a rifle range room at H&H after being the first and only 45 ACP shooter early one morning.

I was shooting 'safe' WWB copper jacketed lead bullets. Darned if it didn't cause me to tinkle in the pants a bit.

I'm thankful for safety rules. I'd rather shoot 'safer' expensive ammo less often than rip and spray the combloc surplus and risk hurting someone.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as I can remember they haven't allowed steel ammo at indoor ranges.
Last time I bought some at Academy, they even told me it is not allowed indoor ranges. I only shoot outdoors anymore.

OrangeOkie

New to the site!
Reaction score
I always thought the real reason was was a financial consideration. The range operators use the spent brass to reload and re-sell the ammo. If you allow cheaper steel cases you lose alot of money on free brass. I always retrieve my own brass, but it sometimes gets mixed with other brass on the floor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom