The official 2019 OU/Texas thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least they knew when to use the "horns down" hand sign today; there were some dorks at the KU game last week throwing the "horns down" sign. Is Texas that deep in some OU fan's heads that they do that when playing anyone?

I figured OU would blow them out - they have a lot of horses, and I told the OU fans at work that there's no one in the Big XII that's going to run with them this season. They should also send Alabama a thank you card for Hurts, as for the most part, he IS their offense.

1. The KU fans were throwing the "horns down" sign in anticipation of Texas.
2. Hurts is good, but I bet that next year, the guy under center will be too. If Hurts went down, OU's production would falter some, sure, but they have a LOT of weapons on that filed...CeeDee Lamb comes to mind. I don't think it matters who throws him the ball; once he gets it...he's gone!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think odds are pretty good that next year, it will be Spencer Rattler. But that's not a lock, Mordecai is pretty good too. Then Brock Vandagriff comes along in a couple more years... OU is so stocked at QB it's not fair.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think odds are pretty good that next year, it will be Spencer Rattler. But that's not a lock, Mordecai is pretty good too. Then Brock Vandagriff comes along in a couple more years... OU is so stocked at QB it's not fair.
I agree with you what I have seen of Rattler so far is better than Mordecai (although it’s a very small sample)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the offense was that bad.

We scored 34 points on a good team
The 2 turnovers were bad, score would probably have been 40 to 48 without them, but otherwise
511 yards total offense
Averaged 7.7 yards per play
Ran the ball down their throats to the tune of 276 yards
Averaged 7.2 yards per carry
Only punted twice

Granted the turnovers hurt, and third down conversions weren't very good. Texas is the best team we've played so far, and guess what... the better the opponent, the harder it is to run up 700 yards of total offense and 65 points. I just don't get why everyone is saying the offense was so off, other than the turnovers it was not a bad day. Plus, anytime you are minus 2 in turnovers and win, you had a good day.

I 100% agree.

The fumble was unfortunate, but I don't blame JH too much on it. The UT defender put his helmet right on his arm holding the ball and that is very tough to overcome. It was a good play by the defender at the end of another great run by JH. That INT is 100% on JH. It happens to all of them, but he should have thrown it away. He almost did it again too later then he settled down.

I think OU has a very good season on tap this year. Did anyone see how much trouble Alabama had with A&M? The score in that game doesn't really reflect that but that A&M QB is pretty good too, not JH good, but they had an awful lot of fight in them for going up against the #1 ranked team in the nation and they were a thorn in their side. If the OU defense continues to improve they way they seem to be I'd lay even money that they can beat any team on any given day. I wouldn't have said that last year.

#3 Georgia got beat by an unranked SC team. As long as we win out and we beat probably Texas (or Baylor?) again we should be in the big dance. I just don't see how they can't be.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The KU fans were throwing the "horns down" sign in anticipation of Texas.
2. Hurts is good, but I bet that next year, the guy under center will be too. If Hurts went down, OU's production would falter some, sure, but they have a LOT of weapons on that filed...CeeDee Lamb comes to mind. I don't think it matters who throws him the ball; once he gets it...he's gone!

No, those weren't KU fans - unless they wear OU shirts and hats.
And Hurts has accounted for how much of OU's overall production? His rushing yards are impressive, and it's his ability to escape any kind of rush and extend plays that really make OU's offense dangerous. They are stacked with talent, but without him the offense has to drop off quite a bit, CeeDee Lamb or not.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, those weren't KU fans - unless they wear OU shirts and hats.
And Hurts has accounted for how much of OU's overall production? His rushing yards are impressive, and it's his ability to escape any kind of rush and extend plays that really make OU's offense dangerous. They are stacked with talent, but without him the offense has to drop off quite a bit, CeeDee Lamb or not.

I misspoke in the above, I meant to say the OU FANS at the KU GAME were throwing ... I think my intention, if not my words, was clear. At least I hope so.

And on second thought, well, you got me. You are probably right about Hurts and his impact on the offense. He has the experience to go along with the talent, especially important in big games. And the guy can make plays with his feet! All we know about the other quarterbacks at OU is that they have the talent...but not so much the experience. So yeah, without Hurts, the offense will drop off a bit. At this point, losing him to injury would be a very bad thing. Sure, one of the guys behind him could step up, but the learning curve is great and OU would no doubt suffer. So even though the offense is loaded, I will agree that without Hurts, OU's offense would suffer.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
72921781_1409134679233839_6147547043368796160_n-jpg.219763

Latest posts

Top Bottom