The OK Panhandle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you visited? I remember learning a long time ago that the highest point in OK is there, and I think there's some huge pig farm out in that area. Not sure what else is out there though.

And I just realized that people living in Guymon most likely use Amarillo, TX as their nearest big city... unless Woodward has grown enough to take that spot?

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been there and I liked it. Black Mesa is the highest point I believe . We stayed in a small cabin in Kenton and had to drive 38 miles back east just to buy beer. I remember on the trip there we drove 62 miles once before we met another car.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drive through there a couple times a year. The Rita Blanca National Grass Lands are a place to visit. Lots of antelope and some mule deer to see as well as the other mentions. There is also Optima, the lake that never was. The Corps of Engineers built it and it never filled up. Small patch of water in the middle occasionally but the COE still maintains an office there.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small patch of water in the middle occasionally but the COE still maintains an office there.

Well we still spend like 13 grand a month for them to inspect the dam, gates, and spillway and ensure it's all functional in case we ever get the river flow levels of 1965 again, LOL. Last time I can find the river even had water was 4+ years ago: https://okcfox.com/news/local/beaver-river-flows-for-first-time-in-decades-near-guymon

OP I will say the panhandle is unique and quite cool, if just to experience it. Check out the grasslands, the mesa, and cross over into New Mexico and check out Capulin Colcano.

Also when I was a kid, we got pulled over when my dad was driving our V8 Thunderbird about 100 MPH. OHP didn't write him a ticket or anything, just gave us advice on the scenic way to Colorado (recommended thru Raton and Trinidad and not Lamar CO), and hardly let him out of the car because he seemed so lonely and just wanted to talk to someone LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom