The Open Carry Battle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here we have the State AG sung the City for violating the rights of the Citizens.

https://www.breitbart.com/border/20...city-of-austin-for-open-carry-law-violations/

The open carry battle is far from over.

https://www.newson6.com/story/40912...files-petition-to-repeal-constitutional-carry

https://www.kosu.org/post/constitut...ahoma-allowing-open-carry-guns-without-permit

I personally prefer the element of surprise with concealed carry but understand why folks are walking around openly with various long guns. The Battle never ends of people attempting to take away our gun rights so this is one way to push back [ maybe not the best way ]
The general public has been fed the lie for so long that guns are bad and should be banned it freaks them out when someone exercises their constitutional right to bear arms.

I was in Tuscon AZ area about 20 years ago and saw someone with a large frame revolver holstered in a convenience store and no one seemed alarmed at all. They have been use to open carry for a very long time so the general public is use to seeing open carry. In Tulsa QT allows legal open carry but it is very rare that I see someone practicing open carry in their stores.
I do agree that with rights comes responsibilities.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The majority of the open carry advocates like to use the argument that they think their openly carried firearms will act as deterrents for someone wanting to commit crime. Although this could be true for some criminals, in my opinion it just all depends on what kind a bad guy we’re gonna be around at any given time. We can’t choose which one it’ll be, whether it’s the bad guy who’ll sis out when he sees an open-carrier or if he’ll be the bad guy with a pair of balls who puts the first bullet in the back of your head before you even know there’s a problem.

I’d rather have the element of surprise myself as well. I don’t want to feel like I have to be constantly on guard looking over my shoulder with increased situational awareness all the time, either.

Full on open carry might have its benefits such as the ability to comfortably carry practically any full-size handgun loaded with more ammunition and the ability to draw faster but, I still think concealed carry is the way to go. Plus it does less pissing off of the gun-hater leftists and liberals who keep pushing for more and more gun control.

Am I against open carry? No. But I do think there’s a time and a place- I open carry my Sig P220 10mm when I’m in the woods but that’s as far as that goes. In the urban jungle, it’s always concealed.

Another reason is that it allows me to carry in places that I really shouldn’t be carrying in. I know, all these private property owners with their stores have the right to ban guns from their establishments but since we all know how safe gun-free zones are and that bad guys don’t follow laws or signs, I can continue my personal protection wherever I go; well, almost everywhere I go. I disarm for federal buildings and courthouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of sight, out of mind. The deterrent factor for open carry is at best marginal, if not negligible. The element of surprise, as in "I'm going to rob you! Surprise this G-45 I'm carrying might have other ideas." is far more efficient at deterring threats as it is really hard not to be a little confused when you are all of a sudden staring down the barrel of a gun pointed in your (the criminal's) face.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of sight, out of mind. The deterrent factor for open carry is at best marginal, if not negligible. The element of surprise, as in "I'm going to rob you! Surprise this G-45 I'm carrying might have other ideas." is far more efficient at deterring threats as it is really hard not to be a little confused when you are all of a sudden staring down the barrel of a gun pointed in your (the criminal's) face.

I agree with you almost a hundred percent just merely because open carry does bring about that risk of making yourself a target- will that always be the case for someone who open carries? Probably not, but it’s a risk I choose not to take.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open carry would definitely be a deterrent IF alot more people were doing it. And the plain fact is, all criminals are cowards and dont want confrontation.
Period, they see a gun and shy off to the next "soft" target.

This, that I’ve highlighted in bold and underlined for my own emphasis. Maybe I speak for myself under my own account but if I was a criminal looking to hold up a particular convenient store and I saw that 3 or 4 out of the 5 or 6 people standing in line were carrying a visible sidearm, I think I’d pass that place up and find an easier place to rob.

Latest posts

Top Bottom