The Stand Re-Make

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CBS is filming Stephen King's The Stand, for their CBS All-Access streaming service and it looks like the broadcasting will start early next year.

I just hope this mini-series follows the book reasonably well. I really liked the 1994 effort by ABC, in part, due to its' fidelity to the book

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We watched this with my son a few months ago, and it was the first time I had seen it, as well. I couldn't help but think how cheesy it was and how amazing it COULD have been with today's technology and some good screenwriting, and not RUSHING it into 4 episodes. Make it into a multi-season deal and you could actually have some real character development.

It's sad to me to see how many of Stephen King's masterpiece works have been ruined in film. :(

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We watched this with my son a few months ago, and it was the first time I had seen it, as well. I couldn't help but think how cheesy it was and how amazing it COULD have been with today's technology and some good screenwriting, and not RUSHING it into 4 episodes. Make it into a multi-season deal and you could actually have some real character development.

It's sad to me to see how many of Stephen King's masterpiece works have been ruined in film. :(

I agree. The Shawshank Redemption may be the only screen adaptation of a Stephen King work which did justice to the original. I may be biased though, because I watched the movie before I became a fan of Stephen King. Every other movie or mini-series has been a major disappointment. That's actually a big compliment to King, but also kind of crazy considering the fact that The Lord of the Rings was brilliantly adapted by Peter Jackson.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think Weirdo wood has lost all ability to come up with an original idea! Wonder where they are going to go with the PC crap on this one?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I agree. The Shawshank Redemption may be the only screen adaptation of a Stephen King work which did justice to the original. I may be biased though, because I watched the movie before I became a fan of Stephen King. Every other movie or mini-series has been a major disappointment. That's actually a big compliment to King, but also kind of crazy considering the fact that The Lord of the Rings was brilliantly adapted by Peter Jackson.
Actually, I thought the 1994 mini-series was pretty good. The acting from Gary Sinise Ray Walston, Miguel Ferrer, Ossie Davis, Jamey Sheridan, Ruby Dee, and others was good to excellent, the script was very good, and it stuck reasonably close to the book. Granted, they had to cut a lot of material out to fit it in a six-hour time slot, (the book is nearly as long as my novel, The Pale Horse), but still, the result was one of my all-time favorite DVD's.

I'll concede it was not perfect, but it was still very, very good.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I thought the 1994 mini-series was pretty good. The acting from Gary Sinise Ray Walston, Miguel Ferrer, Ossie Davis, Jamey Sheridan, Ruby Dee, and others was good to excellent, the script was very good, and it stuck reasonably close to the book. Granted, they had to cut a lot of material out to fit it in a six-hour time slot, (the book is nearly as long as my novel, The Pale Horse), but still, the result was one of my all-time favorite DVD's.

I'll concede it was not perfect, but it was still very, very good.

I agree, for its time, it was not bad. But it really felt too rushed to me. You need time for character development.

Latest posts

Top Bottom