The Watch Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as an FYI for those who are looking for a good Skeleton Watch (auto with the guts exposed on the front), I've been really researching this and have found that there are very few reliable movements in what I consider "affordable" (i.e. $200 or less).

Two that keep popping up on the radar are the Kenneth Cole Transparent watches (they always seem to get great reviews), and a Chinese company by the name of SeaGull Watches http://www.usseagull.com

SeaGull watches have "China Made" at the bottom of them which is not the normal "Made in China" import regulated marking due to the fact that Seagull actually makes a nice movement and is attempting to brand "China Made" like "Swiss Made" with some degree of pride (they started with a Swiss movement and re-designed it to be something they could produce cheaply and reliably). Seagull actually makes 1/4 of all mechanical watch movements in the world today, but their skeletonized M182SK is the one I'm interested (it's one of their more famous skeletonized movements). This watch can be had for around $135.

They come with a 2-year warranty when bought from an authorized dealer, but they are fairly small watches and I'm not crazy about the fancy crowns on most of their watches (they have also recently gotten into Turbillion watches and higher end stuff for around $1200 plus dollars which for me is too much to pay for a Chinese-built watch).

Here's an example:

image.dhgate.com_desc_285296278_00.jpg

Well after doing some digging, I discovered that most of the Kenneth Cole watches I was looking at with a skeletonized face have this exact same movement in them, but come with a Kenneth Cole Lifetime Warranty:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"What time is it?"

"Uh... hold on, let me see here..."

Yeah the silver hands in front of silver gears don't make it easy to see. If I got this one, I'd have to have the hands changed out (which is good because it's really hard to find this one with warranty anywhere as I guess it is an older model).

Timex just released their fall stuff, and there's a new Flyback Chrono in the mix that looks like it might be the one I've been waiting on:

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some of the Fossil Skeleton autos have that same SeaGull movement in them as well.

Here's one of their Grant Collection watches:

s7d2_fossil_com__is_image_FossilPartners_ME3054_main_9cedd1e0f02ab1d388657cae30636c24._.jpg

Here's a Fossil Quartz that just grabs my attention due to the wood-grain face:

i.ebayimg.com_00_s_NjY5WDUzNQ___z_GIwAAMXQs_ZRjWH7___KGrHqN__r6adb38f22e6fa5b014cdf1571a5f6558.jpg

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a guy out of India, that's making skeleton watches with a more "Industrial" Manly feel to them (His no.1 and no.2 versions are pretty awesome):

http://awatchmakersdiary.blogspot.com/

I've been looking into a G-Shock, but holy crap there are a ton of different models/versions out there. Anyone know of a G-Shock for dummies type of guide out there?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Nixon Watches? They seem to be decent, but still considered a fashion brand (started as a watch-company geared towards surfers/skateboarders):

[Broken External Image]

watch

thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp__0_mall_goodyonline_cabinet_nixon_a278_1426_2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom