The WestWorld Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I'm hooked! Just watched episode 2, which doesn't air until Sunday night but it's already available thru On Demand on Cox. I still remember the original movie and Yul Brynner's role - Ed Harris is similarly terrific in this version.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched 2 episodes, not really impressed, it plays out like that bad episode of Star Trek TNG shot as a Western, Fistful of Datas. This is supposed to be old west, but we see an 1887, a 94, an M97 trenchgun,.. this "shootout" is just plain silly...

Only plot I've been able to discern in 2+hrs of episodes is that a handful of robots have a gliche because of an update, and 1 human gets his jollies killing hosts.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it. I like AI movies, westerns, and questioning reality, so what's not to like?

I really like Ed Harris' LeMat, I think the Pawn Stars had one in their shop on one episode.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems to be an awful lot of flame, debris... and a piece of brass, maybe, coming out of the top of the rifle where the bolt is at 0:37. I supposed it's for hollyweird effect, but it's totally wrong.

The 87 pump that comes out of the rolled up burlap is a Coyote Cap Special edition made especially for cowboy action. it has been modded to allow the user to drop two rounds into the breech fairly easily. The down side is that the mod usually makes the tube mag unusable. Then the scene switches back and forth from her shooting the 87 SHOTGUN to shooting a 73 lever action rifle. THEN she's suddenly shooting a Winchester 92 saddle ring carbine. Then back to the 87 shotgun (which doesn't kick of course - LOL) and when she lever it, no spent shotgun shell comes out. 87's are notorious for not cycling modern ammo well as the design was created back when 2 3/4 shells were paper and had a rolled crimp. When expanded they only increase length by 1/16 of an inch or so. Modern plastic shotshells use a star crimp. When shot, they expand 1/4 of an inch or more. this small difference in fired shell length requires a good bit of gunsmithing on modern reproductions like the one she is shooting - even then the cowboy shooter who uses it can experience shells "standing up" on the bold face when the shotgun is levered rather than ejecting clear.

When she blows up the wagon full of... I'm guessing... TNT and Nitroglycerin . . . nothing ejects from the rifle. - in fact, if you watch, nothing ever ejects from any of the rifles in this trailer. (I'll letting the amazing exploding wagon slide)

The tench gun she is then seen shooting (it's a true trench gun, not just a model 97 as it has the heat shield and bayonet cover) was not developed until 1917 and then only used by military. It's out of place in this time period. Though the 97 itself could have conceivable been there. Or, without the heat one could have assumed it was a model 93 as well). It also appears that she is able to shoot it 6 times. The original's only hold 5 shells. There is a modern mod that is done to allow Wild Bunch shooters to stoke the gun with 6 rounds, but it was not available during this time period.

All that being said, I love the series and will watch it repeatedly without doubt! I like studying their costumes.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this were supposed to be a true period western I'd be upset about the lack of authenticity in the weapons being used too. But it's not meant to be a western set in one particular period - the western theme is simply part of the "experience" that the visitors are paying for, so I'm sure the access to a wide range of weapons from different periods is all part of the plan to give the visitors their money's worth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom