Think I'm going to try out IDPA this nxt month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Mr. Fuson down to the OPS has convinced me so I think I'm gonna try out the whole IDPA thing in the month of July. I went and watched a a match over at Oil Capitol, It was seemed to be alot of fun. So I'm gonna go try it for myself, any advice, tips, tricks,??? I've downloaded the IDPA rule book .... that's about where I've got to gonna pick up some mag carriers and go on from there,

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just go ahead and get a few sessions under your belt.

It helps to be trained in the proper grip, stance both feet and arms. If is like golf, if your fundamentals are correct then you have a good chance to do OK under pressure.

Holster should cover the trigger, buy mag holders or just put them in a pocket or waist band at first, you will need a cover garment. This time of year you can wear a T-shirt and a regular shirt over this as a cover garment. simple and inexpensive and represents what you might actually be wearing in the summer months to cover your gun.

When you join a group, they will have a walk thru at each station where it is explained in detail. new shooters are treated well at Oil capital. Just let your group know you are new and they will help you. You can't get all the rules at first, so plan to make a few mistakes but don't worry about them.

You could be shooting from one foot to 25 yards, so if you can practice at distance, 15, 20 , 25 yards it will be helpful. Also, i would suggest practicing with a piece of brown or white paper, i..e a target without any lines, targets, bulls eye etc. At home you can practice drawing from holster and changing mags.

Just go real slow at first and don't worry about your score or time, it is a learning process.

it will be real hot in july (unless we get a cool front). they have water at each station but i usually drink a big gator aid before the match and have another one with me.

I think it is very fun. On the serious side, i think anyone who carries CCW should do IDPA. Your first IDPA will show you just how much you do not know about protecting yourself with a gun and what you need to work on.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your time, concentrate on doing it properly instead of fast. And DO NOT worry about what the other people think! Everyone there, including myself, are more than willing to help. There's always a good group of guys/gals there that give support and just have fun! I was nervous my first time out, but after that first shot, and talking to people, it was the most fun experience I have ever had! Glad you made the choice to try it! Warning though, you will be hooked ;)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only things you should really make sure of before going is that you are able to draw, load and reholster your handgun without sweeping any part of your body, keep the gun pointed downrange during reloads and unload and show clear, hopefully without ever giving up your firing grip. No one will expect your performance to be stellar the first time out, they just want you to be safe and have a good time. :)

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so Sat the 9th match is on ?? (I'm so confused) I just picked up a couple extra mags 28$ a peice, a dbl mag carrier $30, and 250 rds of 45 ammo from Walmart $98.00. all the fun Im hopping to have on saturday; priceless

Latest posts

Top Bottom