Thinking About A New Car - Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystery

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been driving trucks for the past 20 years. As I've gotten older I find myself more and more wanting something a little quieter, smoother, more comfortable to drive. I currently have a 2014 Titan that I'm considering trading in. Much to my dismay I recently learned that because the Titan got a new body style this year, that the trade in value for my 2014 went down a bit, but that's another story.

I've been looking into SUV's and Crossover's, focusing on drive-ability and passenger comfort. I'm looking at the new Dodge Durango's (a co-worker purchased one earlier this year and I'll admit I'm impressed), also looking at the new Ford Explorers, and I test drove a new Cadillac XT5 this evening. I'd like to get your thoughts and opinions, good or bad, about any of the above, or other models. Things you've liked, and things you'd advise me to avoid.

Obviously price is always a concern, but I'd like to not go above 50K-55K.

Any thoughts, and thanks in advance for offering your opinion.

Thanks.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Buy something several years old; let somebody else take the depreciation hit. Pay cash, and stick what would have been the monthly payment into savings or reasonably liquid investment (a money market account would be a good choice); if something breaks, you'll have the cash to fix it, but will have been earning interest instead of paying interest. Also, your insurance premium will be lower.

As to model, I've been happy with my Explorers. I have friends who have bought the luxury models (i.e. the Lincoln version instead of the Ford), and they all had numerous problems specifically with the "luxury" features. Covered under warranty, but still a real hassle to deal with. Dodge doesn't have a good long-term reputation, and frankly, I have issues with buying from either of the bailout companies, at least until they pay back all of the money they got from .gov, and make whole the bondholders who got screwed in the bankruptcy proceedings (they should have been superior creditors, getting paid before junior creditors, but it was politically convenient to do otherwise).

Also, consider something foreign. I know, "buy American," but a lot of them are made here (and a lot of "American" cars, or at least their parts, aren't), and the manufacturers are publicly-traded; if you have any mutual funds or retirement investments, you probably own a little bit of all of them. Toyota makes some damned fine vehicles, and I've friends who wouldn't trade theirs for love nor money. I can't speak as to any first-, or even second-hand experience with Nissans, but it seems like I've heard good things in general. I'm fond of Honda sedans, but don't know anything about their SUVs. If you see a Rover, run like hell; there's a reason it's for sale, and that reason is probably because the owner got tired of paying to have it fixed.

Mystery

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Buy something several years old; let somebody else take the depreciation hit. Pay cash, and stick what would have been the monthly payment into savings or reasonably liquid investment (a money market account would be a good choice); if something breaks, you'll have the cash to fix it, but will have been earning interest instead of paying interest. Also, your insurance premium will be lower.

As to model, I've been happy with my Explorers. I have friends who have bought the luxury models (i.e. the Lincoln version instead of the Ford), and they all had numerous problems specifically with the "luxury" features. Covered under warranty, but still a real hassle to deal with. Dodge doesn't have a good long-term reputation, and frankly, I have issues with buying from either of the bailout companies, at least until they pay back all of the money they got from .gov, and make whole the bondholders who got screwed in the bankruptcy proceedings (they should have been superior creditors, getting paid before junior creditors, but it was politically convenient to do otherwise).

Also, consider something foreign. I know, "buy American," but a lot of them are made here (and a lot of "American" cars, or at least their parts, aren't), and the manufacturers are publicly-traded; if you have any mutual funds or retirement investments, you probably own a little bit of all of them. Toyota makes some damned fine vehicles, and I've friends who wouldn't trade theirs for love nor money. I can't speak as to any first-, or even second-hand experience with Nissans, but it seems like I've heard good things in general. I'm fond of Honda sedans, but don't know anything about their SUVs. If you see a Rover, run like hell; there's a reason it's for sale, and that reason is probably because the owner got tired of paying to have it fixed.

Sound advice. Thanks a bunch.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was once like you. I had been driving my two Land Rovers for years and wanted a change. I also wanted mileage. I know that they aren't rated very well but, I bought a Fiat 500 Sport. I know this isn't for you because you wanted something comfortable. I love it for the fun factor alone. The wife and I drove the Twisted Sisters in Texas last year and in April we're doing the Fiats On the Dragon in Tenn. ( 318 turns in 11 miles ). After $7000 in performance parts and many handmade parts it's my little sleeper.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a Ford or Chevy guy. I have owned both and a few foreign models as well. My wife bought a ford explorer and it really is nice. I know you can get them around the price range that you are looking for. They have had some exhaust leak issues, but we have not had any problems. It rides smooth, we live down a county road half gravel, half paved. The interior is nice and she got one that was all loaded so the seats heat and cool, plus have massage feature. Makes long trips nice. The only problem I have is sits low like a car to me, I wish it was a little higher. Also no key, just the fob, and it honks if you get out with the key in your pocket with it still running. We have gates at the house and sometime forget to take the fob out of my pocket. Other than that its a really nice car.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are really concerned with fuel mileage, consider a Ford Expedition. My wife and I have bounced back and forth between the Explorer and the Expedition, and we currently have a 2014 Expedition. Ours is large enough for 7 adults, with captain's chairs in the front and middle row, which allows access to the rear between the middle chairs. All but the front seats will lower down, allowing plenty of room for carrying cargo (or groceries).

I especially like the Expedition because it sits a person higher so that the driver can see upcoming traffic better, thus helping with safety.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been driving trucks for the past 20 years. As I've gotten older I find myself more and more wanting something a little quieter, smoother, more comfortable to drive. I currently have a 2014 Titan that I'm considering trading in. Much to my dismay I recently learned that because the Titan got a new body style this year, that the trade in value for my 2014 went down a bit, but that's another story.

I've been looking into SUV's and Crossover's, focusing on drive-ability and passenger comfort. I'm looking at the new Dodge Durango's (a co-worker purchased one earlier this year and I'll admit I'm impressed), also looking at the new Ford Explorers, and I test drove a new Cadillac XT5 this evening. I'd like to get your thoughts and opinions, good or bad, about any of the above, or other models. Things you've liked, and things you'd advise me to avoid.

Obviously price is always a concern, but I'd like to not go above 50K-55K.

Any thoughts, and thanks in advance for offering your opinion.

Thanks.
Nissian Murano, I had a 2004 and sold it 2 months ago. Had 187,000 miles, still got 22 mpg, would take off like a sports car, and outside of tires and maintenance, the biggest expense I had was the cam sensor, changed both since I was there, $275. Oh, they ride a little stiff, but handle like a sports car. Now I drive a Toyota Camray. : (

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on your price range, the Lexus RX-350 is the class leader in that segment for a reason. For less $$$, the Toyota Highlander is also a solid choice. The Honda Pilot is also a top choice. All three of these have something most other SUV's in this class don't have, enviable reliability ratings. Two others that might be worth looking at would be the Buick Enclave (Buick has the best reliability ratings among domestic products) and the new VW Atlas. Personally I'd be a bit gun shy on the resale value on a VW, but the Atlas is winning awards and feature for feature, it's several grand lower in price than it's counterparts.

While not in the same size range you're looking at, we recently helped my aunt pick a compact SUV and after doing tons of research and actually test driving the top six, she got the Honda CR-V.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never got a new car . never understood why so many people get them and know it is a loss.
worst investment you can ever make.. but it is not an investment I know.

Here is my take.
If I was held at gunpoint and had to spend a lot of money on a car it would be a restored or well worked over classic car that will always get the money back or more.

You will say You want reliability and do not want to work on it.. cold air comfy ride etc etc.

Well my answer to that is many old cars like 1969 camaro or older chevy or fords even chrysler products restored and updated with new model suspension and drivetrain .. they are everywhere and cost less many times than a new car and will be just as reliable if it is done right.

That is the bad part ..IF it is done right.

New cars never thrilled me. a free one maybe but to pay what they want and then 10 years later it is worth 1/20 of what you gave for it.

I am probably the only one who thinks that way.
Because there are sure a lot of new cars being bought and sold.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly understand swampratt’s view on new cars. For me, however, I’ve been obsessed with cars since I can remember. I’ve purchased many new cars; some I kept for years and over 100K miles, and some I sold or traded in within months. Have I lost money doing that? Sure - but it kept a smile on my face researching and driving many different kinds of vehicles over the years, and that’s worth a lot to me. I’m currently driving a ‘16 Ram 1500 pickup with a camper shell on it - this is my preferred vehicle to take on trips because of the roomy interior and it sits up high. The shell allows me to put all manner of cargo in the back without worrying about damaging the interior while still keeping it out of the weather. Do I think FCA vehicles are bulletproof? No, but they’re so much cheaper than Fords or Chevys that I can buy a new Ram and then get a 100K mile/7 year Chrysler warranty on it and still come out ahead price wise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom