Thinking about Buying A Used Harley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking to get a road/electra/street glide for under $8k. Something to fart around on and flirt with fat girls and such. Im finding some within my budget but they have a ton of miles. My big question is how many miles is too many? I know a lot of it depends on how well it was taken care of ect...but still. Also, any years to avoid? I have read it is generally a good idea to buy as new as you can that fits into your budget.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2007-harley-davidson-electra/6617446418.html

I like the heck out of this one but 42k miles seems high for a bike to me. Thoughts?

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2007 was the first year for the 96" which was nothing more than an upgrade on the 88" last year for 5 gallon tank and the skinny rear end. That motor if taken care of should easily do 100k. That's a good bike with most of the bells and whistles on it. But for that price I would look for a 2008 that had a 6 speed transmission bigger rear end and 6 gallon tank.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2007 was the first year for the 96" which was nothing more than an upgrade on the 88" last year for 5 gallon tank and the skinny rear end. That motor if taken care of should easily do 100k. That's a good bike with most of the bells and whistles on it. But for that price I would look for a 2008 that had a 6 speed transmission bigger rear end and 6 gallon tank.
great info thank you.

Jnew1981

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others said I would look for an 08 and up with the bigger rear tire and such, also there’s a few more upgrades for them if you ever wanted to do anything

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, these 08xish glides you’re seeing would have run you 6500-7000 5 or 6 months ago. So you are paying a season premium. With Harley tourers you REALLY want an 09 or newer, if you can at all afford a bump in your budget. They re-designed the frame starting that year and the difference is very noticeable.
IF you want to up your budget a smidge I might know of a nice option for ya..

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been around bikes my whole life, work with bikers, live with bikers..and I’m not talking about these new school fair weather riders or wanna be knuckle heads with fake bad attitudes. My honest opinion is to avoid any newer Harley Davidsons man. You’ll see a lot of bikes up for sale around 30k miles for good reason. If you just want a toy to turn wrenches and heads on then get an old shovel, knuckle, pan etc. If you want to ride and ride all day go look at Honda’s, Yamaha’s, Suzuki’s or even an Indian.

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man for your budget you can get a Valkyrie, gl1800, fury, vtx1800, or whatever style bike (in honda form) your looking for. With the honda the confidence of having a quarter million+ mile capable bike and money to spare. But to each their own.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Properly serviced a Harley will last 100K pretty easily. But I'd go with an import too. I have a '94 Honda VT1100C and I once read an article on it's engine. I really wish I'd have downloaded it, but it was stated that the engine in it was in the top 5 for engine reliability of any engine made for a motor vehicle of any kind. It's been years and it may have changed but that still speaks volumes. I know I blasted through the Mohave and probably averaged 90 MPH in August and it didn't even blink. Yea, it was hot and I wanted the hell out of there. Pulled into Needles for gas and it was 118 degrees. I was riding it home from L.A. In August! Not real smart, but I had no real choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom