1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

This Ammo Shortage is Worse Than Last Time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by druryj, Jul 31, 2020.

1. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Bout the only thing I'm shootin off now days is my mouth.... saving up waiting on the funny looking people to come breaking down my wrought iron gates.

thor447 and Les Carter like this.
  2. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think you're right except the "intensity" of the shortage seems to be worse this time. I don't ever recall seeing primers selling for what they are now in the prior shortages. It seems that I can find everything to reload with except for primers (for now). It may not be exactly what I'm looking for but I can make some ammo in the common calibers to shoot at least. I just recently snagged a couple hundred .224 Gold Dot bullets and I'm looking for more regularly in 55 or 62 grain. None to be found in any weight. ANYWHERE. But I can find other Speer .224 bullets to load if I want. They just aren't what's generally used in the tacticool loadings. Like I said...For now.

The last runs were similar, the guns and ammo disappeared first. Then reloading equipment and components. Primers on Gunbroker are selling for more than $500 per 5K and I can't recall ever seeing that happen. It's like TP when Rona hit!

RickN likes this.
  3. Legend

Legend Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No ammo shortage at my place.

SHOTGUN12 and dennishoddy like this.
  4. OKNewshawk

OKNewshawk Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm kinda stuck right now as I just picked up a .300 BLK upper. I know I should have put some ammo aside while I was still working at Walmart but there always seemed to be something that came up that was more pressing--like food.

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I loaded over 25 pounds of 69 gr. .224 bullets in the past 10 days and over 12 pounds of powder. That Dillon 650 has been gettin it. I'm working on a deal to trade some 9mm casings for some .38 spl. So if that works out I'll be loading 850 rds of .38 spl. next week. I'm buying a .357 lever rifle Mon. ( if that works out) so I'll need some xtra ammo for it. My reloading/gun room is in the house, so reloading keeps me busy and out of the heat.

thor447 likes this.
  6. HJB

HJB Sharpshooter

I can't find any 9 mm ammunition on academy.com that doesn't say out of stock and not available for shipping.

I also looked at a few 22 lr and it was the same way.

chuter likes this.
  7. mightymouse

mightymouse Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Worst I've ever seen it. CoVid-19 scares, civil unrest, ammo plants in states with total lockdowns, and an election year to boot--it's the perfect storm. If you see ammo on the shelf, you'd better buy it. Probably won't be there tomorrow.

8. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Bummer. I stocked up a few weeks ago through them. Ordered through incognito mode.

9. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

I’ve loaded for my rifles for a long time, but the best thing I’ve done in a while is buying a Dillon 650 last year. In addition to my hunting rifles, I’ve now got the capability to load for 9mm, 45acp, 223, and 300BO.

My brother in law who’s a cop is a dumbass for a few reasons, but I tried to tell him several months ago to buy ammo. Of course, he didn’t, and now, he insinuating that I need to “help a brother out” by letting him have some of mine. Yeah well, that ain’t happening.:angry3:

rc508pir, dennishoddy, RickN and 5 others like this.
  10. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have to agree with all this. I’ve recently developed an AK itch, and picked up two off PSA on pure luck. Next time I saw them in stock the prices had been jacked up $200. They’re selling for double what I paid on gunbroker now. It’s insane.
    For what it’s worth, gunworld in del city has pallets of ammo sitting around, and all the semi autos and ARs you could ever want. I think I saw a Calico SMG for $3800, and a Daniel defense AR for something in the neighborhood of $6400.
    Did I mention that they’re selling tapco AK mags for $90 a piece as well? They have boxes of them to choose from.
    there’s steals to be had on ammo too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020