Thoughts about this scope for M1A, and general opinions wanted....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, so I traded my DMS-1 for a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 with BDC. I like the Nikon, but it's not quite what I want for long term (really want something with parallax adjustment, and a different reticle) . Here's my plan, yall tell me what you think, or punch holes in my plan.

I plan to use the Prostaff to test handloads and see what kind of groups the rifle can hold. If I can get it to shoot under or at about 1.5 MOA then I plan to get one of these two scopes http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53711.aspx

or http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx.

My goal would be to shoot 600 yard matches, but also to hunt and just do a bit of everything with this rifle.

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The scope would be great. You certainly should be able to compete at 600 yards. The M1A is capable of that and more. A couple of years ago I watched a gentlemen win a 1000 yd match shooting a peep sighted M1A. Impressive.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm just curious about any accuracy mods that you've done to the rifle itself.

Well, I haven't done any mods to it, BUT it came with a heavy barrel (Douglas I believe) and unitized gas system. The previous owner said he shot 1.5 to 2 MOA with it, and it has around 2k rounds through it.

I'm not sure what steps to take to improve accuracy depending on how it shoots to start with, but I'm hopeful. It is in a GI fiberglass stock, which I may bed or replace depending on what I find as well.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good starting point to work from. You'll probably find a lot of helpful information at m14forum.com on things you should look for to get the most accuracy out of the rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom